Main Menu

Holtoons

Started by Chad Holton, January 05, 2014, 09:26:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chad Holton

In my younger days, before I thought girls and video games were interesting, I subscribed to a magazine called CARtoons: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CARtoons_Magazine I would try to recreate some of the illustrations in pencil form... wish I would have kept them now. Anyhow, I still have a fondness for car caricatures, so I'm starting a thread where I'll be messing around and creating some of my favorite vehicles. Stay "tooned"...  :D

Ed

Great idea Chad.   Put on your Rat Fink t-shirt and channel Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!

Ed

feher

Nice....can't wait to see what you come up with.

Chad Holton

Quote from: Ed on January 05, 2014, 04:01:52 PM
Great idea Chad.   Put on your Rat Fink t-shirt and channel Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!

Ed

;D  Yeah, I love his work Ed.

Well, here's my first go at it. It is a 1970 Oldsmobile 442. Hope you like it. Critiques are welcome.

Speedster

Insane!  In a "Roth kind of way".  Now, how about trying this with a "toon" PS comp?  Drop the toon on top, then screw around with transparency?
Bill G

Dylan

Nice work. I always liked those kinds of motorcycles and cars.

Chad Holton

Thanks guys!

I may have to try that out, Bill.  :D

Here's another. Just some minor updates..

Jeff Hayden

You rock as always Chad. Looks awesome.

Josh3D

Love it Chad. Is that all geometry or are you shaping/skewing in PS? We may have to have a 'Roth' contour option added to the toon shader :)

NDenekamp

Awesome, looking foreword to more!

Gonna have to ask, how did those flames become reflected in the exhaust in your first post? perhaps using a version of Keyshot 5..?!

Chad Holton

@Jeff - Thanks - Hope you and your family had a great holiday!

@Josh - Thanks man! It is all geometry (other than some bump maps for the headlights, reflectors and tire sidewall). Also, I should have mentioned what I did in post: swapped the shadow out to have one directly under the car and that was it. It's all KeyShot (3 passes: main shot, shadow and mask (to cut the shadow out)).  ;D "Roth" option, I like that! 

@NDenekamp - Thanks! The next one will be a popular exotic from the 80's. As for the flame reflection; I originally had the flame on a cone shape (with the flame getting larger as it exited the exhaust). It's a flame texture on the cone using the emissive material (not sure why I didn't use a trapezoid shape). Anyhow, I ended up swapping the flame out in post for a different shape, with a little more "fun" curved shape. At the angle it's at now, it probably shouldn't reflect it but I liked the reflection there and left it.  :D

feher

Chad,
This is really cool !!! I love this image. You got me in a mood to do one now.
Thanks for sharing.
Tim

Ruckus

Hey Tim - Maybe the Roth Dart needs an update with the new Dart.  (hint, hint, nudge, nudge)

Chad Holton

Thanks Tim! Anxious to see what you come up with. The Dart, as Ruckus mentioned, would be sweet..

Tiho Ramovic

Beautiful work, brilliant idea :)
Cant wait to see more!!