Main Menu

Holtoons

Started by Chad Holton, January 05, 2014, 09:26:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chad Holton

Thanks guys!!  :)

Here's another version - was shooting for the hand drawn/rendering look.

feher

Combine this with some toon renders and add a few sketch line in photoshop and you will have an excellant illustration.
Just something to think about.
Love it.
Tim

Speedster

What's really a blast is to render a full-on beauty shot, followed by a toon.  Overlay (Place and Link) them in Photoshop and horse around with transparency.  I've even done that with medical devices, where each part in the beauty shot is a gloss paint in different colors, this to show assembly, not product.  The toon then brings clarity to the image in a weird but wonderful way.  Try it- you'll like it!
Bill G

TpwUK

Yeah ... I'm liking it too :)

Martin

Chad Holton

Thanks guys and for taking the time to give feedback/comments!  :)

I think I'm finally done with this one. My friend has a yellow '72 Barracuda drag car that resembles this a bit. May print it out and give it to him as a gift for tinting the windows on my '83 Grand Prix back in 1993... doubt he'd be expecting it.  ;D

Anyhow, little bit of post work with this one (AO pass, glare, vignette, color tweaking):

TpwUK

Just so cool, Chad. Thanks for the trip down memory lane :) .... MG GTB next ?

Martin

feher

So Sweet ! Great work.
Thanks for sharing.
It's another keeper
Tim

Chad Holton

Thanks guys!!

Martin: Probably won't do a MG GTB anytime soon. Not familiar with that car at all - had to look it up. Was that your first ride?

I was thinking of finishing the 2015 Challenger I had started on a while back but may go a totally different route.

Chad

TpwUK

Hi Chad

QuoteMartin: Probably won't do a MG GTB anytime soon. Not familiar with that car at all - had to look it up. Was that your first ride?

It was my art teacher at school who had one, and he used to do hand drawn drawings in this cartoony style that you are doing here. I would sit there amazed at the speed and accuracy at which he could churn them out. His other favourite was the VW Beetle. Sadly I can't remember his name, but he was a massive influence on me and the love of cars that i now have.

QuoteI was thinking of finishing the 2015 Challenger I had started on a while back but may go a totally different route.

Another great car with that boxy look to it, so should adept to this style of art too.

What is this style of vehicle art called ?

Martin

Speedster

QuoteWhat is this style of vehicle art called
Rothesque?  Ratfinkish?
Bill G

Chad Holton

Quote from: TpwUK on December 18, 2014, 06:21:49 AM
Hi Chad

QuoteMartin: Probably won't do a MG GTB anytime soon. Not familiar with that car at all - had to look it up. Was that your first ride?

It was my art teacher at school who had one, and he used to do hand drawn drawings in this cartoony style that you are doing here. I would sit there amazed at the speed and accuracy at which he could churn them out. His other favourite was the VW Beetle. Sadly I can't remember his name, but he was a massive influence on me and the love of cars that i now have.

QuoteI was thinking of finishing the 2015 Challenger I had started on a while back but may go a totally different route.

Another great car with that boxy look to it, so should adept to this style of art too.

What is this style of vehicle art called ?

Martin

Sounds like an awesome teacher - would like to have seen his artwork. I still like to hand sketch for fun every now and then. I am never good with proportions though - which isn't a bad thing when doing caricatures, I guess.  :D

I prefer to call this art "car caricatures". But have seen it called CAR toons, toon cars and toy cars. My next car caricature will be more roth-rat-finkish, I hope.

TpwUK

looking forward to it ... Ratfinkish Caricature sounds best to me - lol

Thanks Bill/Chad :)

Martin

Chad Holton

The next Holtoon is finally complete: Enzo Ferrari

I started this one over a year ago, forgot about it until I stumbled across it recently and decided to finish it out.

DriesV

Looks brilliant, Chad!
Is he/she auditioning for Cars 3? :)

Dries

Magnus Skogsfjord

Hah, these have gone by me somehow. Impressive modeling. Would be interesting to see how they look from other angles. Great stuff.