Triangle problems

Started by sevenlo, January 07, 2014, 05:14:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sevenlo

Hello everyone, I keep on encountering this problem when rendering this same model that I have made. Triangles appear at the ceiling every time. I checked my model in rhino if there were any overlapping surfaces but there were none. I imported the model to keyshot using the plugin that lets rhino files to be directly imported to keyshot. Please help. I need to finish this render before Thursday :(

NDenekamp

It's hard to say..

- Were these these little spots of triangle meshes appearing from the the start, or only revealed themselves after applying materials / lights? If so does applying a different material reduce / remove the issue?
- Is the light falling in through the ceiling the HDRI or a modelled light plane? in either case is there any geometry on the outside of you model or just this ceiling plane?
- Have you tried remodelling this part of the ceiling geometry again in Rhino (i.e. removing the planar surface from the object and using the Cap command to bring it back)
- If all else fails is it feasible to remove the offending triangles in retouching, or are there too many views to be rendered?

n

KeyShot

You can explore the underlying triangle mesh using the wireframe material. If you can share the model with support@luxion.com then we can take a look at it as well. It could also be related to the normals being wrong for those few triangles.

sevenlo

Remodelling the part with spots of triangle worked! Thank you so much guys! :D This problem has also occurred in some of my past renders. Can you guys give me some advice on how I can avoid these spots of triangle? And what causes these triangles to appear in the first place?

gabrielefx

I notice this behaviour importing some models from Max.
Meshes with few triangles are not well smoothed and in Keyshot I don't find a command to shade them flat or smooth.
In 3ds Max exists a modifier called "smooth" that interpolates meshed build with few polygons. It works on shading, is not a mesh smoother, it doesn't add new triangles.
This modifier doesn't help the geometry, it's rendered in Keyshot with weird shading.
Any trick?

regards

thomasteger

Correct - we don't do any smoothing. You will need to make sure that you increase the polygon count in Max.