How To Get This Floor Reflection

Started by Robb63, January 30, 2014, 11:30:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robb63

I have a client who would like me to render their product on a floor similar to the one in the attached scene (the one with bottles). I've attached a sample image I'm working on, that I'm not happy with. This isn't the product that will be in the final image (I can't show that) the final product doesn't have any metal so I'm not concerned how the metal looks in my sample image, just that the floor isn't shiny enough.

I know I can add a ground plane, but I can never get the material for that as nice as the built in reflective floor, and from this low angle, you'll see the end of the ground plane. Is there a way to bump up the built in floor refection that I just don't know about?
I can add in ground plane data that curves into a vertical wall, but I think that is going to affect my HDRI lighting the scene?

Any tips would be appreciated.

Cheers

DriesV

Increase IOR on the Ground material?

Dries

Robb63

The image I created is using the reflection check box, so as far as I know there is no way to adjust the IOR?

DriesV

Edit > Add Ground Plane
That inserts a ground plane where you can change reflection, roughness and IOR.

Dries

Robb63

Thanks Dries,
I had tried "Ground Plane" before, but ended up looking at it again after you mentioned it.

I hadn't realized that the top color is the shadow color, and not the diffuse color!! Previously I had seen the black swatch (thinking it was the color of the plane), and knowing i had wanted a white ground plane been cranking the tint up to 90-100% to lighten it up causing all of my problems!

Thanks for the tip!!

Vlad

Hi Rob, recently I found a nice way to control the amount of reflection on the ground plane, which may help you.

In addition to the control you have with the ground material settings, I've added a light at the back of the product (its from the HDRI, but it works too with IES).
With it you boost the amount of reflection even more. Check the diagram and the imgs.

I hope it's all clear.

Vlad

Robb63

Vlad,
That makes sense, thanks for the tip! I'll give it a shot

thomasteger