Maximum time VS Advanced Control

Started by LiteHold, January 20, 2014, 09:31:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LiteHold

Hi guys, I hope you don't mind but I have another question.

If I render an image using Advanced Control and it takes 2 hours, could I expect to see a better quality image if I render it for say 3 hours using Maximum Time?

I've rendered an image using Advanced Control and it took me 2 hours but I wasn't too happy with the quality. I adjusted the settings and left it to run last night and woke up to see it at 34% after 7 hours ha ha!! I need to visit the tutorial for render settings to get a better understanding of what each setting actually controls.

I need to finish this image by tomorrow morning so I'm thinking of leaving it to render overnight using 'maximum time' for however long I plan to sleep, rather than adjusting the settings and hoping it has finished in time / that the quality is good enough. Is this an OK way to go about it?

Thank you

DriesV

Too many variables into play.
What kind of shot are you rendering?
Do you use DOF in KeyShot?
Do you have translucent materials?
Do you have small geometric details?

Dries

LiteHold

What kind of shot are you rendering? Full vehicle

Do you use DOF in KeyShot? No

Do you have translucent materials? Only glass

Do you have small geometric details? No

DriesV

Then I think advanced control rendering will be faster.
Generally speaking the default settings should be a good starting point. The global illumination slider will have the greatest influence on render times. I don't think it needs to be any higher than 1-2 for a vehicle render.

When you say you weren't too happy with the quality of the advanced control render, what specifically would need to be improved?
Can you show a sample render? Or possibly share your scene/ksp?

Dries

LiteHold

Thanks for the help Dries. Will look at getting something this evening.