Main Menu

Live link

Started by bjorn.syse, January 23, 2014, 01:12:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bjorn.syse

I assume you are aware that the Live link feature really does not work. As in, I've never gotten it to work?

thomasteger

It appears that you are having difficulty getting it to work. Can you please be more specific on what steps you are taking?

Thanks.

bjorn.syse

Oh, I didn't know you thought that it worked.

Actually, I don't know where to begin even, but as I said, I've never gotten it to work at all.

Let's start the other way, how is it supposed to work, so I don't have any exaggerated expectations?

jhiker

thomasteger

Please make sure that you are using KeyShot 4. Live linking is only supported with KeyShot 4.

You transfer your model from Rhino. Go back to Rhino, make a change, select the object and send the updated to KeyShot using the "update" button.

bjorn.syse

bjorn.syse

Hi Again

Yes, I'm using Keyshot 4.2. That manual page didn't say much at all I'm afraid. But what I've tried is for example:

I render model from Rhino, and it opens in Keyshot very quickly. I've organized parts onto layers to be able to set materials in Keyshot. I assign materials in Keyshot.

Now i try this:

1. I move a part in a certain layer, and choose update from Keyshot menu inside Rhino.  The part is moved in keyshot very quickly. However, all the other parts that also existed in that layer are deleted. One way to get them back seems to be to select all parts from that layer in Rhino and run Update with these parts selected. Then they all bounce into Keyshot.

Then I try this,

2. I realized, there is one small part I need to assign a specific material, but now it's merged together with other stuff on one layer. So then I assume I have to go back and place it on it's separate layer since I can't seem to break it apart in keyshot? (this workflow is madly cumbersome, but that's a whole different story). So, In rhino I move that part to it's own new layer, deselect everything and press update. Unfortunately nothing happens, and the part is still part of that first layer in keyshot. Selecting the new part and pressing update seems to work, but then it's still part of that first layer it was on. So I selected everything from that layer and press update, and that seems to solve that.

I guess everything I tried with this feature glitched and that's why I just assumed this feature is wasn't ready yet and thought you were aware of it. Should I select parts or not? The manual says nothing. And even if it did, I wouldn't know where to find the manual. And even if I did, one shouldn't have to read the manual to make use of such a simple feature. It should just work.

Regards

- Björn

thomasteger