Is there a way to render section views right out of Solidworks?

Started by ldichiara, January 28, 2014, 12:01:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ldichiara

Hi All -
For those of you that have a familiarity with Solidworks - there is a very powerful feature inside the application which allows you to view section views of a part design. The one thing I would love to find out (and if it can't be done - I would make it as a suggestion | request for a later build of Keyshot) is how to export a sectioned view of a model so you can effectively render cutaways. Does anyone know if this is possible?
I'm guessing if it isn't - that you would literally have to cut your model in solidworks as a physical operation - save it and export into Keyshot though this seems like it would be a bit counter-intuitive.

Any insight is appreciated.

Lenny

thomasteger

Right now you will have to cut the model. But by using the plugin with live linking this becomes a simple operation.

DriesV

For a while I thought having boolean sections in KeyShot would be the optimal solution. I still think it would be a great feature.
However, nothing beats making the cuts in CAD for precision, detail, control and quality. You're right that it is a tedious job, though. :)

Dries

Speedster

I've gotten into the habit of creating a section cut on almost all parts in mechanical designs, and stick it last on the Feature Manager.  Just suppress it for real work, and unsuppress it for KeyShot import. Be sure to UV map the cut!  If you do it while working on it, not later, it's actually not that time consuming or tedious than if you wait.
Bill G