Has SolidWorks legacy officially been left to die???

Started by DriesV, February 03, 2014, 04:47:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DriesV

I've just started to get myself up-to-date with the latest developments from SWW2014.
This isn't strictly related to KeyShot. However, since the KeyShot team (and probably a number of KeyShot users as well...) attended the event, I hope you guys can share some of your thoughts...

I just found out about the pricing for SolidWorks Mechanical Conceptual...
Quite frankly I think it's nothing short off ridiculous!
SolidWorks by all measures is midrange CAD. This is not even a bad thing, but what company/user will shell out +3k$ ANNUALLY for a concepting tool that is completely INCOMPATIBLE with the SolidWorks version that the current installed base is using?!?
The argument is that SW Mechanical Conceptual augments SW. However, after only 3 years of use SWMC will already be a larger investment than SW Premium!

In my book that's not an add-on strategy, but a REPLACEMENT strategy. >:(

I have a strong feeling that the SolidWorks that we currently know and use will not be getting the development effort it deserves and will basically be left to die, in favor of the new 'add-ons' (until they become mature enough to trump the old SolidWorks...).

Any thoughts on this from other SW users? :)

Dries

Speedster

Did you attend SWW14?  If so, DANG!  I could not make it as we are selling our house and had a lot of showings, and I'm only 50 miles away!  If I had known you would be there, to heck with the house!

I've only gotten some scuttlebutt, and frankly it freaks me out.  I've been using SW since 2001, have been a SWW presenter and multiple award winner of the SolidWorks International Design Competition.  I consider myself a power user, at 8+ hours a day.  But I'm seeing SolidWorks going by the wayside among my clients.  SolidWorks has moved so far from their core values, have complicated it so much, that many are already exploring other options.  Myself included.  I run Premium, but seldom use the features such as FEA and Routing, for example.  In my business, a "Green Footprint" is dumping an old injection mold overboard as part of a reef somewhere.

It is (or was) a powerful, mid-range, tool with a large installed base, and strong 3rd party Partners like KeyShot.  But I honestly believe they are going down the wrong path in this insane corporate battle with Autodesk. I know who the winner will be, and it won't be us...

Just my personal thoughts.

Bill G

thomasteger

Long time SolidWorks employees are jumping ship left and right. That is somewhat telling as well.

DriesV

Bill, no I didn't attend SWW2014. The trip would have been 5670 miles in my case. :D

The future of SolidWorks has been the elephant in the room for a few years already.

I actually sent a mail around our office about this about a year ago. Didn't get too much attention... :(
And now we even invested in Enterprise PDM, which ties us more than ever to SolidWorks...

I really think Solid Edge would be a way better tool than SW for our business (a lot of sheet metal and quick concepts). If only I could convince my boss. ::)

Dries

cadjockey

It certainly appears like its been left for dead.  Has had no significant improvements that I've noticed for 3-4 years, just minor tweaks. Why do I bother keeping current........ Sigh