New to KS4: Render appears completely different than Realtime Render

Started by cmcconnell, June 21, 2013, 07:47:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmcconnell

Hello - I am fairly new to rendering and KS4. I am experimenting with some Hardware rendering.

My hardware looks much better in the real time window then it does after it renders. I have experimented with different HDRIs and all of teh render settings, but I am unable to get the render to look like the realtime.

Hardware.8.jpg is a screenshot of the real time.

hardware.5.jpg is the render.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this the way it is supposed to work?

EGON

Last week I ran into the same problem. Was driving me nuts.

DriesV

I get this too from time to time. I can't put my finger on when it happens exactly.
Mostly differences between working window and 'advanced rendering' output.
Sometimes differences between working window and 'realtime rendering' output too.

Dries

Ed

Had this happen as well last week - ver 4 Pro.

When rendered with settings set for quality, my model had lost some reflected light compared to the RT window.  It was a noticeable difference (in a negative way).

No glass, no lighting (just an edited HDR) or anything special - just a ring model with metal material.

So I ended up rendering a clown pass (so I could make the BG transparent), then ending up taking Render > Save Screen shot in PNG format.

The screenshot had noticeably better quality than if I had rendered.

Ed

cmcconnell

Very glad to see I am not the only one. As reassuring as that is. :)

I found I can get the same quality if I switch to a max time render. Not sure why that is.

Bruno F

Hello cmcconnell,

Can you please specify (or post a screenshot) of your environment settings as well as your render settings?  If the issue persist you may contact support@luxion.com

cmcconnell

Here they are...

guest84672

The scale of the environment may be an issue here. We will check.

PhilippeV8

cmcconnell

PhilippeV8

Yeay !

Which is worse ?  Going nuts with bolts, or going nuts with nuts ? :p

Magnus Skogsfjord

I don't know if this has been resolved or not, but I experienced issues with DOF enabled when I did the render. Image 1 shows the render with DOF on. Image 2 shows a screenshot of the render after some waiting. The latter looks better in my opinion. If I disable the DOF, the latter result(best result) will apply on both waiting and render.

Same settings and same lighting on both images btw.

Using KS 4.3.10 - Student license

thomasteger

Make sure to increase you DOF quality in the advanced quality settings. Or use Max Render Time or Max Samples.

Magnus Skogsfjord

I had a value of 4.5 in DOF-quality, so I don't think this causes the issue(?) But I will definitely try the the other options you mentioned as well.