Best way to create edge lit acrylic sheets?

Started by Rabe, July 26, 2013, 10:47:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rabe

As listed in the subject, I am trying to create an acrylic sheet that has the edges glow when lit. 

I have played around with all forms of the glass and plastic materials, but haven't hit on a look that actually looks correct.  Was leaning towards just extracting the edge faces as a different model and using one of the light materials to attempt to replicate it, but it seems like maybe there oughta be an easier solution... Anyone have any advice or ideas?

guest84672

TpwUK

Would the new targeted caustics work on this Thomas ? I am curious ...

Martin

DriesV

If you want your acrylic sheet's edges to 'glow' then those edges will need to scatter internally reflected light outwards.
You can achieve this by applying the same acrylic material of your sheet body to the edges, but with increased roughness. If no roughness is applied to the edges, they will never glow.

The reasoning is pretty analogous to actual acrylic machining. Sheets are cut, milled..., so the machined contours will always have a higher roughness (and thus exhibit scattering) than the base material. Acrylic parts that are polished close to perfection (e.g. optics) do not show glowing edges. (I wouldn't want my glasses to glow... ;D)

Dries

DriesV

1st image: acrylic disk perfectly polished all around
2nd image: same acrylic disk, but with roughened external edge

Dries

malayutou

Thanks,Dries.To create the acrylic sheets is really a hard nut to crack to me.

tomlai

http://www.delviesplastics.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=DPI&Category_Code=Fluorescent_Cast_Acrylic_Sheet

@Dries Note that the edge actually throws light as seen by the illumination on the table surface. And the edge is smooth polished and not rough textured.

richardfunnell

I put this scene together a while ago, i just broke out the edges as area diffuse lights. It doesn't have any gloss (since it's a light emitting material), but you could play around with adding layers of material.
Hope this helps!

keaneray

Thanks for the Acrylic upload Richard. Great little material.