Previous topic - Next topic

gabrielefx

in no particular order:

01 displacement
02 blend/mix material
03 motion blur
04 full control over caustics, not cached
05 better computation of indirect light for interiors
06 better control of high lights (clamping)
07 full animation alembic import, vertex deformation
08 auto white balance picker
09 ies light with target point
10 camera with target point
11 align tool
12 timer on frame buffer to check how much time is elapsed during the rt render
13 more information on the frame buffer: core used, memory used, connected farms
14 object searcher, alphabetical order for material name, object name, group name, etc.
15 object filters: show only cameras, only lights, only objects, etc.
16 distributed render active during the rt render
17 glossy reflections on infinite plane
18 material override
19 render traps: shadows on-off, invisible to camera, invisible to reflections-refractions
20 stereoscopic camera rig
21 stereoscopic camera render
22 render quality presets
23 sphere preview with checker background
24 pause-resume render button, target focus picker tool in a control panel
25 gradient material
26 flare post effect with diffraction control
27 camera clipping
28 rt sectioning tool and cap tool (very useful for mechanical renders)

edwardo

That's quite a list.... All valid points however. Keyshot would be about as comprehensive as it gets if it had all this. Does that also mean it would become as backwards to use as maya+mental ray ?

DriesV

Interesting list indeed...
And it seems that these features can be achieved without integrated modeling capabilities.

However, like Ed, I wonder how the lot of these features can be shoehorned into the intuitive interface of KeyShot...
Personally, I wouldn't like KeyShot to become another modo. That doesn't mean I think modo isn't great (because it is), but KeyShot is a pretty special tool as it is right now.

Maybe in KeyShot Pro FX? ;)

Dries

thomasteger

@22 - HDRI editor with Pro version
@2 - KeyShot 5
@30 - KeyShot 5
@38/39 - KeyShot 5

@33 - makes no sense

It is not our goal to produce another Maya/Max/Modo/Vray.

You are right, it is largely about the interface. And the business case behind it.

Speedster

I agree with Thomas.  Stick to your core values!
Bill G

gabrielefx

ok,
I deleted from the list all the new 5.0 features and deleted some useless.

I think that the last one is interesting for this type of software: sectioning tool

thomasteger

Yes - I agree. We have something in the works for this. Needs refinement, though.

Speedster

And I'll keep adding my request for a reset button on all materials tabs to reset any tweaks you may have made.
Bill G

jhiker

Quote from: Speedster on February 17, 2014, 07:49:57 AM
And I'll keep adding my request for a reset button on all materials tabs to reset any tweaks you may have made.
Bill G
Can I second that...  ;)

DMerz III

Having target capabilities for physical lights (Area Lights) or IES lights would be super helpful. It's why I love the "set highlight" feature in HDRI editor, really helps pin point those lights.

Will Gibbons

Quote from: dmerziii on October 26, 2016, 11:27:17 AM
Having target capabilities for physical lights (Area Lights) or IES lights would be super helpful. It's why I love the "set highlight" feature in HDRI editor, really helps pin point those lights.

This is a great idea. Would be nice to choose a 'pivot' point like we do with the move tool and animation tools now.

If I'm not mistaken we now have access to the following features in one way or another:

02 blend/mix material (Mat. Graph)
03 motion blur (Animation/stills)
05 better computation of indirect light for interiors (Interior Mode)
07 full animation alembic import, vertex deformation (OBJ sequence/Alembic Cache)
10 camera with target point (Select look-at point)
11 align tool (Snap to lower object, snap to pivot)
12 timer on frame buffer to check how much time is elapsed during the rt render (Heads up Display)
13 more information on the frame buffer: core used, memory used, connected farms (Can dictate number of cores in RT & render output)
14 object searcher, alphabetical order for material name, object name, group name, etc. (Scene tree search bar)
15 object filters: show only cameras, only lights, only objects, etc. (Scene Tree item filters)
19 render traps: shadows on-off, invisible to camera, invisible to reflections-refractions (Emissive material/surface backside mask mat graph)
22 render quality presets (lighting tab)
25 gradient material (Gradient procedural texture/material graph)

Lot's changed in the past couple of years!

Speedster

QuoteLot's changed in the past couple of years!
No kidding!  I was one of the very early adopters, "way back" in 2008.  KeyShot has come light years since!  And fasten your seat belts- you won't believe what in the development pipeline!

Bill G

Will Gibbons

Quote from: Speedster on October 27, 2016, 03:09:45 PM
QuoteLot's changed in the past couple of years!
No kidding!  I was one of the very early adopters, "way back" in 2008.  KeyShot has come light years since!  And fasten your seat belts- you won't believe what in the development pipeline!

Bill G

+1

DMerz III

Haha, indeed! My reply is a bit behind on this thread. I searched for targeted lights, and this was a thread that popped up.