My models! Need general advice

Started by pascal3112, February 19, 2014, 07:36:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pascal3112

Hey guys,

I'm studying in Industrial Design and wanted to show you my keyshots shots I've done over last months. Some models were done for clients, but most of them were personal projects or school projects. I know my renders are pretty amateurs, so I'd really like if you guys could point out my mistakes and how to correct them! Luckily, it's still my first year at university so I have a lot of time to improve, so I better start now.

Here's the album (can't upload directly with attachments for some reason):

http://imgur.com/a/O3l6x

Arjun

What makes for good composition includes good lighting. In several of your shots the lighting is either flat or non directional causing a lack of contrast and temperature. Improving your selection of back plates and lighting domes will improve your renders. As for the Spartan... use specular highlights as a way to direct the viewer. Where is the most dynamic location you want the viewer to rest on? The helmet? The sword? The Shield or his vest? You'll notice you used the same "brightness" for all these areas which is telling the viewer that they all are the most important; what would be better served if you chose one location, put the attention to that location and used the others as supporting stepping stones to get to the final location. Just my 2 cents... all in all you're doing great, think emotion and mimic a Hollywood poster... you can't go wrong.

pascal3112

Thanks a lot for the advices! I usually have a hard time when rendering in choosing what I want to show with the light. Most of the time it ends up being a flat composition. What should I do to have better control over the lighting? Add physical lights in the scene ?

Speedster

It actually has less to do with controlling the light than with creating and controlling shadows.  Shadows give the depth and brings out the form, and it's the blacks that are most important to how we perceive shape.  So play with, for example, outdoor HDR's that have sharp shadows.  Depending on your version of KeyShot you can then play with the HDR Edit, add lights, and especially control contrast.  If you put a light over an existing light source or hot spot, then set brightness to a negative value, you can "dim down" the light.
Bill G

Zen

I think some things could be touched up in post processing.

there's one thing that sticks out to me though.  the left side upper leg has a bluish reflection on it of the sky.  but if you look at the rest of the photo, there's really no blue tones at all in any other reflections, like on the building windows.  obviously the sky itself is not blue in that photo, so my guess is there is a blue shift across the entire render of the robot, which can help explain why it looks out of place.  in general though, I think the saturation of the robot is out of place with the scene.  I think the blue glow on the arm area is also a bit much, a black material would probably be more appropriate, or some other material.  It just doesn't seem practical or useful. 

and unless that head can funnel bullets into those trex arms, I'm seeing some logistics issues in the design itself...  I see some ammo magazines, but pretty small payload for such a large machine.  it'd be more believable if the head was the barrel.  kind of like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEu9LLQpOF8

I mean after all, any mech has got to have staying power, unless you want to manually resupply it every few minutes which kind of defeats the point of having an automated unit.  does it seem practical to spend maybe hundreds of thousands of dollars, perhaps millions, on a unit that is heavy, limited in range, and limited in ammo?  in that regard, a tank with an AI would be more practical than a bipedal unit.