Remove Material

Started by mitch.sc, February 26, 2014, 08:17:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mitch.sc

Hi,

I've imported to Keyshot a sw model, which had a decal on it. I accidentally applied a material over the decal and would like to remove the material, but cannot find a way to do this. Unlinking of course did not help, it is now simply isolated from the other like materials.

Please help!

m2tts

Just put another material on it. Decals from SW do not import into keyshot. Do you mane by decal that you had a split surface that is representing a graphic?

mitch.sc

Just realised it was a part simulating a sticker (on a flat surface). It's appearance in ruined since i accidentally applied stainless steel to it. I'd like to revert it to it's original appearance.

m2tts

As I said, just apply the material you want to it.

What exactly do you mean by "it's ruined"?

mitch.sc

Hmm, I don't believe I'm expressing myself well, so I'll take a mulligan and start over:

I want no material applied to a part. There is presently a material applied, I would like to remove the material without replacing it. I would the part to be as when I imported it.

thomasteger

So you would like to keep the label but replace the material. Right now you can change the material type and then make any changed you like. We are looking into a way of being able to replace materials from the library but allowing you to keep texture and/or labels.

mitch.sc

I would like it to be as if I never applied any material to it in Keyshot. Like what happens in Solidworks when you delete an appearance.

thomasteger

There is no such thing as "no material" in KeyShot.

Speedster

I think the question is how to remove a material that's been applied to a part and revert back to what it was on import.

But... a "not material" would be a great material!  I know AO works sort of, but I've not had much success with it.  Like being able to apply a decal to the "not material" and have just the decal, with no surface.

Bill G

thomasteger

You want a decal without surface? Apply 100% transparent texture to an object using the Advanced material. Check "Use Diffuse Alpha Map", and leave the opacity mode at 0. Then apply a decal.

Or use glass and set the IOR to 1.

Let me know if this will work for you.

Speedster

YES!!!
Thanks so much, Thomas!
Bill G

mitch.sc

Thomas, You're an American Hero.

edwardo

Quote from: mitch.sc on February 28, 2014, 06:13:05 AM
Thomas, You're an American Hero.

lol, the Chuck Norris of the CG world

Speedster

Actually, I think Thomas should be Knighted by the Queen!
Bill G

edwardo

Quote from: Speedster on February 28, 2014, 06:50:12 AM
Actually, I think Thomas should be Knighted by the Queen!
Bill G
why not, these guys deserve some sort of recognition "for services to designers/engineers/cad jockeys/CG artists", but I'm not sure how he'd feel about a ninety-something year old hovering a sword above his head. not if he values his earlobes!