packaging mapping

Started by Matthias.de.smedt, March 03, 2014, 05:26:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthias.de.smedt

Dear all,

I'm a product designer in cookware materials, modelling with Solidworks and trying to render in Keyshot.
The problem I'm dealing with is wrapping packaging decals around my structural packaging: for example, the picture below is a rectangular egg pan, with a packaging sleeve around it.

I need to wrap the decal below on the packaging, but when I use the 'Box map' tool it gives an incorrect outcome. The direction of some surfaces are wrong and it doesn't map correctly at all.

In Solidworks mapping decals is really easy to control and very accurate. You can wrap the complete decal at once on the selected surfaces. Unfortenately, SW is not the best rendering software.
I've tried multiple options in KS, such as normal projection, etc., but none gives a good result.
Any usefull info?
Thanks,
Matthias

edwardo

Try UV mode. if that don't work...split your geometry and split your texture file and apply to each face of the cardboard independently.

hope this helps

Matthias.de.smedt

Thanks Edwardo for your quick response.
Giving each surface a different texture in SW, and then mapping the decal in KS on each surface separately seems to be the only solution.
Not the most efficient, but the result looks very nice!
Best,
Matthias