HDR Light Studio link entirely unuseable

Started by bjorn.syse, March 05, 2014, 12:57:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bjorn.syse

Hi

Just bought two floating licenses of HDR Light studio under the impression we would be able to use it in keyshot also. Are you guys serious when you say it's compatible with Keyshot?

Problems that make this product combination look like a joke:

1. It doesn't allow light painting inside of keyshot? Ok, well, Cinema plugin doesn't either, so I do it inside of HDR Light studio live paint window instead. Works, but a hassle. Especially performance wise if we have to load a 2 GB model first into keyshot, have it live rendering, and then do the same into HDR Light studio and have them rendering parallel.

2. What, Keyshot doesn't load the model automatically into HDR Light studio? Ok, I can load it manually if I have the file in OBJ or Collada format. (Which I don't when coming from the Rhino plugin). Major drawback.

3. Hang on, it DOESN'T load the camera angle from Keyshot? Seriously? Showstopper.

:o

KeyShot

KeyShot has a builtin HDR editor that supports painting of objects etc. We actually developed this technology before LightMap. If you contact sales@luxion.com then we can set you up with a trial of KeyShot, so you can try it.

Robb63

Hi bjorn.syse, I found the same thing too. It looks amazing in the videos, but the reality of HDR Studio/Keyshot is much different. I gav up using it the first week I bought it and have been using the built in HDR editor in KS instead. It's not as sexy, but it works.

You can export an OBJ file out of Keyshot now, so you could bring that into HDR Light Studio

edwardo

If keyshots built in HDR editor just got beefed up a bit with a light painting brush and, crucially, the ability to add picture lights, then sold at a comparative price to HDRLS (as a bolt on for people with keyshot basic/academic), then this whole issue would go away. Any revisions to the HDR editor in KS5 in the pipelines :D

Just my 2 cents worth
Ed

KeyShot

You can paint lights directly on objects today. Just open the hdr editor and select add highlight by right clicking on the object. The ability to use images as lights will come in v5.

edwardo

QuoteThe ability to use images as lights will come in v5.

oooh, youv made my day