Cant change file type when after rendering a 32 bit depth pass

Started by Sandy, February 13, 2014, 10:10:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandy

SO I rendered off a 32 bit exr depth pass which has some issue and I can't open it Photoshop. So I switched to a.tiff 32 bit and re rendered. For some reason the file rendered as a .exr again. Tried turning off the depth pass saving and reopen with no success. Tried saving as a new iteration still no luck. Tried saving a package (.ksp) and opening that and still no change.

How am I supposed to change the file type of a render pass when it appears that specifying a file type is global to all passes. How do I get it to change aside from exporting the model as an .obj and importing to a new scene and redoing everything - which would suck bad enough that I would go back to Mental Ray and never look back.

Please somebody have a solution for this issue. I'm tearing my hair out trying to get a final render out.

Cheers

Chad Holton

Hello,

The depth pass always saves in the 32 bit EXR format (no matter your other output settings) and it needs to be this way. You may need some type of plugin or something for PS to see it.

Chad

Ruckus

Sandy

Thanks Chad and Ruckus,

Good to gain a little more knowledge about Keyshot. I can't see anything in the user manual stating that depth is always .exr. Can't you guys point me to where this information is.

I'm running Photoshop CS6 any idea why PS CS6 wont open .exr from keyshot but will open .exr from Mental ray just fine?

Cheers
Sandy

Ruckus

Quote from: Sandy on February 14, 2014, 08:09:27 AM
I'm running Photoshop CS6 any idea why PS CS6 wont open .exr from keyshot but will open .exr from Mental ray just fine?
That's hard to say for sure, but probably KS & Mental Ray each output a different version of EXR.  (Industrial Light & Magic has released several different versions.)  Have you instaled their latest PS plug-in?

Ruckus

In Photoshop when I look at:     Help-->About plug-in-->Open EXR
it indicates that I have version 13.0, and that opens the KS generated EXR files for me.

Sandy

I'll have to look at which open exr ver Im using but I can open exr beauty passes no problem at all just the depth is an issue?

Very weird in my opinion.

Ruckus

It could also be related to the PS version.  I'm using CS6 (V13.0)

If you can attach your EXR, I can try to open it.

Sandy

I'll render one out in a few minutes and send it to you - thanks a ton.

Ruckus

Your right - CS6 will not open that file.

I compared your file & one of my files using notepad.  Your's had only some header information.  Mine had similar header info, followed by lots of unreadble binary "stuff".
It could be:
   Your KS file - try a different one.
   your installation is corrupt - try re-installing

Hopefully someone from Luxion will chime in with what you can try next.

Sandy

Thanks for the efforts Ruckus - much appreciated. I'll reinstall and let you know.

Rex

Sandy,

Have you tried to render a depth pass from another scene to determine if the lotus scene is corrupt?

Sandy

Hi Rex,

I just tried it - thanks for the suggestion. Yep renders a depth pass and I can open it just fine. I am wondering if there is a way to get the geo with all the textures and shaders exported to a new scenen cleanly?

Rex

Sandy,

As long as you haven't moved the file location of your textures/labels from your original save this should work:

- open a fresh scene
- import your .bip
- select "import file" NOT "open file"

- if you have moved the file location of your textures let me know and I can give you a workaround.