Keyshot 4.3.18 Not Importing Rhino

Started by Robb63, March 10, 2014, 04:29:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robb63

I am unable to directly import Rhino 5 (and 4) files into the latest Keyshot (4.3.18). I can still mostly use the Rhino plugin to import files.

I've had some crashing (and weird things happening) this afternoon trying to update a scene with the plugin, so I thought I'd try to import the Rhino file instead. No luck!
What would be the next best file format to export out of Rhino to bring into KS? I've tried .obj and it comes in great, I just can't figure out the correct settings in Rhino to have the .obj file keep the layers, and their names intact.

I've attached the KS error screen I get when trying to import the files. BTW, I've tried several different projects, and so far I haven't been able to import any Rhino file I've tried. I've also tried several different mesh settings in Rhino. I've switched to wire frame, then "render" mode, then back to "shaded", still no dice.

thomasteger

Works just fine. Sounds like something went wrong with your installation when you upgraded.

Robb63

Do I uninstall all of Keyshot (plugins too) then do a full install to try to fix it?

thomasteger

The plugins don't have anything to do with it. Yes, I suggest a complete uninstall, and then an install using the full installer.

There is a new Rhino plugin posted as well on keyshot.com/plugins. Just download and install.

Robb63

I uninstalled everything, took my personal materials out, cleaned the registry, and restarted my computer. Then installed KS, pointed it to my .lic file.

The plugin is working nicely now, but the Rhino file will still not import! I even tried importing it into a new scene, thinking maybe something in the scene I was using might be an issue.
I also just tried importing some older Rhino files that I used a few months ago for some renderings. They won't import either.

I can use the plugin now; so I can get past my issue and deliver my project this evening, but I'd definitely like to get this figured out

thomasteger

thomasteger

Can you send us a quick example? We have been testing this extensively on both platforms and were not able to reproduce it.

Thanks,
Thomas

thomasteger

There is a known bug with empty layers. If the layer is empty then all the sublayers will not be imported. So in the worse case scenario if all your geometry is on sublayers, and you have one top level layer that is empty, then essentially KeyShot considers the file empty.

I hope this makes sense. Can you send us an example that doesn't work for you?

Robb63

Hi Thomas,
Yep, it was the empty layers. I removed them and the file imports perfectly.

Thanks

thomasteger

Phew - as I said this is fixed in 5.

Glad you are "up and running" again!

al_jot

Hi Thomas,
so when can we expect ks5?
I just wonder because we have the same problem too, and it worked fine in the previous ks versions.
It 's really annoying, with this problem, we can't import our old Rhino files with empty masterlayers. We waste a lot of time doing unnecessary workarounds after ks updates.
Maybe you integrate a downgrade button somewhere. If one has any problems with the update, you can switch to the old version easily.
I think, ks 5 will not be released in the next 2 or 3 weeks. Is there a possibility to fix this in the next 2 weeks or can you provide any downgrade files?
Thank you
A.Jantschke

thomasteger

We are testing the importer right now to make sure the issue is addressed. We may end up just distributing the Rhino importer itself for KeyShot 4. Stay tuned.

thomasteger

We have fixed this issue. An updated importer for Rhino for KeyShot 4 is available. Please contact support@luxion.com for further details.

al_jot

Thank you for your quick reply. I really appreciate this.
A. Jantschke

e21

Hi guys, I'm having the same issue. I went to download the latest Rhino plugins but it looks like they're Windows only. Is there a way to get the latest importer for my Mac version of Keyshot 4?

My Rhino file is very large so it's been a big time waster going back and forth trying to adjust the layers.

Thanks,

E