[WIP] Stoferr's Kinger Tiger Tank Project

Started by Stoferr, March 11, 2014, 01:56:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stoferr

Hi everyone! Im pretty new to this forum, but actually I've been using Keyshot for quite some time now (And loving it!!) The reason why I havent posted untill now is that I've been working on a project for several years now. I love mechanical stuff, and is also quite a history freak, so some 2-3 years ago I decided to model a Tiger II tank. Now, tank models are overdone, and especially the Tiger one's, but I wanted to do something different, I wanted to model one with full interior, with every bolt and small piece. Even though its years ago im startet, im not nearly fnished yet, still a long way to go, but I feel that I finally have something to show you guys.

I have two models; A low poly version, made in Sketchup, which I basically used to quickly, but accurately, draw details as I studied how the inner working of the tank was. This model is finished, and will be shown first.

The second model, is a high poly version, made in 3ds Max using subdivision, it will be the "Final Product" but its still in the early phases, but I will show you what I've got.

The final goal is to have a complete model, as accurate as possible, that can be disassembled and investigated, while having unlimited details (SubD)
Now before we proceed, I just want to say that I am not modelling professional, and fairly new to subdivision and the topology that it requires so please go easy on me. But else Ill take all the feedback I can get.

Okay, here we go; First the low poly version:

I even made a small concept animation, showing how the pieces are layered and everything can be disassmbled:

Allright, now for the high poly version, this is the part that I will update occasionally as I progress:

First off we have the lower turret, its still in development. Here's some renderings I did a while back, trying to match the period with the whole black/white stuff.

Here the turret is more developed, I quite frankly dont like the texture I picked there, it will be redone next time:

I actually like this material quite a lot, its a shame that it looks too modern though:

Here is an oil tank that will be fitted on the engine:

And gunners sight, this will be situated in the turret, to the left of the 88mm. THis is actually only half of it, but I havent rendered the final one yet:

And ofcourse, you cant show a tank without showing some tank tracks, so here's what you've all been waiting for!

Tracks!

More Tracks!!

Even more tracks! And wheels!!

And a top view of tracks and wheels!

Oh! And a closeup of tracks!

Allright, enough tracks for today, I hope you enjoyed it and have a splendid day! :)

richardfunnell

Wow, what an amazing project!! Even your low poly models have a lot of detail, and the high poly model is fantastic, great WIP renders!
I can't wait to see more, this is a huge undertaking. Thank you for sharing!!  :D :D :D

thomasteger

Oh.so.cool! Thanks for sharing!

And thanks to everybody who is finally finding the way to our forum. This is truly awesome!

Please continue to spread the world and the love, and keep the renderings coming!

Thank you!

Dylan

Wow that is amazing detail. I really look forward to seeing this progress further.

TpwUK

That low poly work is better than most of the subd stuff i get to look at, including my own. You are doing great work there for a hobbyist modeller - keep it coming, but don't rush

Martin

alp

edwardo

im not really sure what to say, genuinely speechless! This is a huge undertaking, my hats off to you! It seems sad that in the end all you work and impeccable detailing will just be images. What I mean is... no single image can ever describe just how much work has gone into this! There is enough here to produce a big ol' coffee table book, with glossy close ups of just about every single component. Or even better... a series of animations all edited together into a beautiful 1080p movie - and youv got enough content here to make that movie feature length!

Im not really into gratuitous animations just for the sake of them, just because keyshot has made it attainable to the masses (don't get me wrong, i love that i now have this luxury, i just try not to use it unnecessarily, besides my computer can't cope).... but this model seriously warrants some showcasing with animation.

Stunning work. You must have an abundance of patients
Ed

edwardo

QuoteNow before we proceed, I just want to say that I am not modelling professional, and fairly new to subdivision and the topology that it requires so please go easy on me. But else Ill take all the feedback I can get.

well... the rest of us are in trouble then :-\

m2tts

Ok, I'm amazed that you did what you call your low-poly model in sketchup? looks more like SolidWorks or Creo.  What kind of documentation are you working from to get so much detail?

Great work!

Robb63

Now you need to buy a MakerBot (or similar), and print yourself a Tiger Tank!!

Josh3D

Jawdropping sir! I have to second what everyone else here has said already and welcome you to the forums. Thanks for sharing this project. I'm so looking forward to seeing how it progresses!!

Josh

Chad Holton

Scott Malcolm

Arian Shamil

raptorscream

Awesome work.
Could you tell me what format do you use to export from mac to keyshot, and also if you use turbosmooth/meshsmooth? I have problems exporting