Best way to Render a realistic Mirror | Reflective Glass

Started by ldichiara, March 13, 2014, 08:50:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ldichiara

Hi All
I am modeling a bedroom layout where I have a dresser with a mirror and was wondering the best way to simulate reflective glass.
I've experimented with the glass features and bumping up the refraction values but didn't get what I was looking for.
I then tried using chrome and some of the metal materials to get the reflection; this worked better but I would suspect that there
is a better way - If anyone has any advice or tips it would be appreciated.

L

edwardo

iv not tried... just speculating, but remember a mirror in real life is a piece of glass with a metallic (reflective) coating on one side. Have you tried a piece of solid geometry set to 'glass' with a plane inside it (or perhaps offset from the back surface) set to a chrome finish (white in colour with no roughness). Usually you can tell that a mirror is a mirror because of the edges (often chamfered or beveled etc) so its worth paying attention to whats going on at the edges of your glass geometry.

edwardo

iv not tried... just speculating, but remember a mirror in real life is a piece of glass with a metallic (reflective) coating on one side. Have you tried a piece of solid geometry set to 'glass' with a plane inside it (or perhaps offset from the back surface) set to a chrome finish (white in colour with no roughness). Usually you can tell that a mirror is a mirror because of the edges (often chamfered or beveled etc) so its worth paying attention to whats going on at the edges of your glass geometry.

DriesV

Quote from: edwardo on March 14, 2014, 05:35:19 AM
remember a mirror in real life is a piece of glass with a metallic (reflective) coating on one side. Have you tried a piece of solid geometry set to 'glass' with a plane inside it (or perhaps offset from the back surface) set to a chrome finish (white in colour with no roughness).

Exactly.
I did a test this morning.

Dries

DriesV

Also a great way to create weathered or 'rustique' mirrors.

Dries

edwardo

very nice dries. so whats going on here? Are the finger prints applied to the glass material as labels? And is the 'crackle' applied to the mirror plane, if so as what (diffuse, spec, bump?)

DriesV

QuoteAre the finger prints applied to the glass material as labels?
Yes.

QuoteAnd is the 'crackle' applied to the mirror plane
Yes.

Quoteif so as what (diffuse, spec, bump?)
procedural color, B/W bump, opacity.

Dries

edwardo

Thanks. And also thanks cos youv just given me an idea for possibly interesting shots using DOF whereby an object could be out of focus but its reflection could be in focus in the mirror! I'm thinking some beat up face staring at itself in the mirror, but my Zbrush skills aren't upto that yet.