Main Menu

vintage selfie

Started by edwardo, March 16, 2014, 02:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

edwardo

just playing around really, don't usually do this kind of stuff.

Model is from turbosquid, but iv worked a bit more on it in zbrush. All painting was done in photoshop

heres the low-res version.

thanks
Ed

TpwUK

Pretty good result Edwardo, better than my efforts with ZB for sure ... Still needs playing with and tweaking but it's a good foundation from what i can see.

Martin

Josh3D

edwardo

Thanks josh3d.

As i said before though....model is by 'cvbtruong' from turbosquad. I can't take any credit for that - i just pushed and pulled it a bit in Zbrush and sub divided it once more to add more wrinkles etc.

This was all painted up in photoshop using various 'skin' images from the net..... your eyes would bleed and your head would explode if you saw what was used to texture this old codger. I'm saying no more.

Here is a version Egons blizzard image overlayed on the background and with some fibre mesh eyebrows - but I'm not convinced by either fibremesh>keyshot process or my outcome. Zbrush is a really annoying app, its a pity its rather good (or feature rich) and pretty cheap, id like to not use it at all.

regards
Ed

EGON

Please get rid of that film edge frame. It is really distracting from your image.

LiteHold

Great image. Just a couple questions for any Zbrush guys out there.

- Can you model to precise measurements?

- Can the models be 3D printed?

feher

I love your work ! I look at it and ask myself where do I start if I wanted to do something like this. My answer is always the same........I have no clue...lol So I go back to cars.
Thanks for sharing.
Tim

edwardo

Wow, praise from the master...Thanks Tim.

You'd be surprised - it aint as hard as you'd think. The only hard part really is getting your head around zbrush's interface, and 'unremembering' anything that is common amongst just about every other 3D application.

Three basic stages... sculpting the general shape (really only using a handful of tools); 'painting' on detail and textures (in this case wrinkles and pores etc); lastly, painting colour on. Done!  Obviously there is a huge amount more to it if you want your model ready for animation (nice clean topology, proper UV's etc etc).

There is a wealth of good Zbrush tutorials out there, and a great sharing community where you can get great brushes - both 3D and alpha! Everything is out there, but like I said, the hard part is switching mindset from one app to another, and from NURBS thinking to subD and polysculpt thinking.

Im slowly but surely figuring out some good pipelines from NURBS to ploys, and with Keyshot i don't have to worry about polycount or particularly clean modelling and perfect topologies.....Good times

Give it a go. Im sure you'll be giving us all lessons within a month!

I thought you used mudbox (or something) to do stitching or whatever is needed (the detail in some of your interior shots is ridiculous!)?
If I could model cars like you I wouldn't be modelling wrinkly old men!

Cheers
Ed

edwardo

Quote from: EGON on March 18, 2014, 02:39:01 PM
Please get rid of that film edge frame. It is really distracting from your image.

here you go Egon, just for you

TpwUK

looks like Ronald Reagan looking through a bottle - Looks great though!
Much better with no framing.

Martin

edwardo

Quotelooks like Ronald Reagan looking through a bottle

haha, i guess. I just googled imaged him to refresh my memory and had forgotten he was an (terrible) actor as well as a (terrible) No1.

QuoteMuch better with no framing.

Believe it or not this was based on an old photo i have of my Grandad (same bad cropping, same bad frame, same hues and grain). He was a pioneer of the 'selfie'