STAR WARS OBI-WAN KENOBI LIGHTSABER (IV: A New Hope)

Started by roygilsing, March 19, 2014, 03:01:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roygilsing

Hi,

I got completely carried away by the amazing star wars prop builders at the RPF forum:

http://www.therpf.com/f79/obi-anh-sabers-what-do-you-have-81181/
and
http://www.therpf.com/f79/constructing-anh-owk-using-original-parts-13994/

It seems that the original lightsaber prop, built in 1977 for the first star wars movie, was constructed from existing old and weathered parts to give it an authentic and used look.
For many years of searching the real die-hards discovered all the parts that were originally used:

- Rolls Royce Derwent engine Balance Pipe
- British No.3 MK1 Rifle Grenade
- Graflex flashgun Clamp
- Exactra Calculator Bubble Strip
- Browning ANM2 Booster
- Armitage Shanks Starlite Sink Knob
- Cone adapter for Balance Pipe
- Transistor & Washer set
- Clamp spacer
- 10.25" steel threaded rod
- 3/4" d-ring

I don't own a replica of the this saber (yet) but I set out to create an exact 3D model of it.
When I do have one, I will update the computer model to create the most precise model as possible (why? I have no clue, but it's so cool!)

The modeling was done in Solidworks, the rendering in Keyshot (of course).
I tried to use the bloom effect to create the glow, but it was not glowing enough, so I used photoshop to generate the blue glow instead.

I created both the weathered look, but also 'as new' look.

I hope you like it!

Roy
www.roygilsing.com

richardfunnell

These are superb renderings, great job  :D

Wow, those lightsaber builders put an insane level of detail into their work, very cool!

Arian Shamil

thomasteger

Josh3D

edwardo

These are amazing... great texturing. And thats interesting about what actual parts were used to build the props (I used make film props and prosthetics myself). Im amazed people (exceptionally geeky people) were able to find that out. Even if i was the guy that built it, i doubt i would remember what components i used. Id probably remember which scrap yard i got them from, but thats it. Incidently, I recently just finished doing up my bathroom and kept all the old taps , faucets etc in a cardboard box (my Dad had fitted it out in the mid 70's). It is most definately those Armitage Shanks Starlight knobs. Maybe I can sell them and retire?

great work
Ed

roygilsing

edwardo

Will it be enough for me to retire? Id really like to retire before I'm 40, and times running out  ;)

Just kidding. Hell, you can have 'em both. Watch this space, ill post something when i get round to clearing out my lockup (its a huge job that i may never get round to though). Vintage 'flying scot' bicycle frames for sale to  ;)

roygilsing

Sounds great! Thanks! I'd be happy with just one and you should put one on ebay and see what happens :)

edwardo

If my memory is correct, mine are plastic (electroplated fake chrome finish). Your images look like real metal. They are most deffinately this shape though.

alp

feher

Very nice work. I love those sabers.
Like to see the glow on the ground smoother. (More sample on the ground material) Other then that. These look great !
Tim

roygilsing

Thanks for the tip Tim. I saw it, but thought that it just looked like the ground was a bit rough. But maybe you're right I should have used more sample there. I normally don't change the material sample settings, but only the general render sample setting. Maybe I should.

roygilsing

just to add: I just found out that the ground material doesn't have its own sample setting! And my render samples are at 64, high enough normally..

roygilsing

I made an updated version with blue backplate and better ground shadows and reflections.