STAR WARS OBI-WAN KENOBI LIGHTSABER (IV: A New Hope)

Started by roygilsing, March 19, 2014, 03:01:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

edwardo

feher

Heck yea ! That's what I'm talking about. If you drop a ground down you would have been able to control the samples on the ground. But as we can see you worked around that on this last shot.
Great work Roy !!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for sharing
Tim

Something to think about control the samples on the material. Don't rely on the samples on the render. Doing it through the render options will increase your render times.
90 of my renders I use these setting in the render options
16 samples
16 bounces
3 on ground shadow.

I use more sample on the materials not in the render settings.
I hope that made sense.
Let me know if you would like me to go deeper into how I set up my renders...etc
Tim

roygilsing

Tim,

I did put a ground plane in and gave it a ground material. But indeed I needed to up the render samples to give it a decent quality and so it did indeed take a while to render. All because the ground material doesn't have it's own sample setting.
So yeah, I am curious about your (general) render setup.
I often use 32 samples, 12 bounces, 2 anti-aliasing, 2 shadow (sometimes more).
I do like the addition of the ground material, but I don't understand why these settings (specular, roughness, IOR) are not integral part of the environment/ground settings instead.
That said, I am very curious about the new features of version 5!

Roy

richardfunnell

I want to clarify the fact that the ground material does have control for the samples, it's currently located under the roughness drop down  ;)

roygilsing

Ah! I wasn't aware of the drop-down menu there. Thanks!

Roy

edwardo