Main Menu

Skin material

Started by alp, March 24, 2014, 02:32:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alp

Is version 5 going to have additional skin shaders and more controls ? . . . been tweaking the default to get a high spec skin , still some ways and challenges to go until I get this right without any textures, bump and spec assigned . .  The trouble is getting really good shadows into the model , ,Anyone want to discuss about skin material? Or anyone that has been able to get it as convincing as possible, I did not come across any tutorials/posts yet Thx

thomasteger

Oh yes - you can created perfect skin with KeyShot today. Look for evilmaul's posts on the forum.

alp

Thanks Thomas, it looks like he is sharing his render results, any page or tutorial with tutorials? Videos? Thank you in advance !

alp

Finally hours of trying and experimenting I wanted to share my settings here with the rest of the community. In this example I have used a Human Head scan model that I've purchased that came with a color map

1) Ones you have you color map create your own bump and spec maps from it using Photoshop. I did not go too bright (using curves/levels) on the spec map and also kept the bump not solid black/crunched
2) It is also important to select a certain type of lighting so I did use one of the default environment lights (see screenshot)
3)I did not use the skin shader from Keyshot but selected the default Translucent material and wanted to start tweaking on my own so i can actually see exactly what happens and how it is effected. I did make sure to keep it a gray/neutral skin tone instead of too orange

For the rest I did take screenshots so everyone can see and experiment

Next I am going to work on the specular map it self as well as tweaking the specular settings in keyShot to get a desired spec added to the skin. I will continue sharing new tests here

TpwUK

Good result Alp, it's a good mediterranean look to it, I like it ... Have you tried a normals map rather than bump mapping ?

Martin Spencer-Ford

alp

Thanks for taking time to comment Martin, I did not. I am trying anything and everything right now as I am really excited to work with KeyShot, but I will try that next. So normals instead of bump? Have you done any tests ? The default shaders are already great, and I know that it also depends on the model it self on some smaller skin details.

Cheers !  :)

TpwUK

Never tried it, but normals is pretty close to displacement mapping in KS, so you should get deeper wrinkles and in theory more of an edge for your translucency settings to work with.

Martin

alp

I can not wait until we have the materials Library online so we can all share our materials :) Thx for taking time to write back Martin  . . .

thomasteger

Want to give KeyShot 5 a spin?

edwardo

This looks pretty dang good to me! My only comment would be that he looks a bit 'dry' (but i suppose most people his age are). Could you up the spec value a bit, shine him up a bit?

Thanks Ed

Ps, where did you purchase the model/maps set. Iv been looking for good head models

alp

THOMAS: YES !!!!!!!!!!!!!! I already got an email from Sheri and been waiting to get version 5 I will email you guys again today

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

edwardo thanks for taking time to comment, yes I did change the spec maps and agree that a little will help fir sure. Buying 3d scan models is easy as they are everywhere on the web amd a good way to test things Here are a few sites\

http://www.turbosquid.com/
http://ir-ltd.net/tag/3d-scanning/

Simply search for " 3D human body scans " " 3D head scan"

alp

Another up until 3 am test/experiment -  shared info in the screenshot - I will do more tests until I get this looking the best way possible and will save these new materials in my lib :)

alp

TEST 03
Darker skin tone or others without having to alter/change your color map

TpwUK

It's definitely getting closer .... The darker one is very close to Australian aboriginal - Keep em coming

Martin