Main Menu

Kitchen interior

Started by feher, December 17, 2014, 03:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

feher

Well I'm back at trying to render interiors. So much fun.
Quick run down on how I approached this.

The first image is a screen shot of my KS file with just the dome on. No Ies lights yet. At this stage all I'm looking for is putting down some fill light and color to the scene. I look at this stage as my underpainting. Something I would do if I was traditional painting.

The second image just show the ies lights.
Next I start adding IES lights. At this stage is where things can go crazy if your not patient. You will notice I have 7 ies light one for each pocket light and one extra. The geo. I used to make the ies lights was I duplicated the lenses on the lights and moved them down. I used a emissive material on the original lens, not to light the scene but to show the lights were one. Otherwise it would have been dark.
The ies lights are not that strong I think .05 intensity. Also the light color is a darker yellow. That helps with blow out. If you start getting sparkles the first thing you want to look at is the bump height on your materials. I was getting speckles once I made my bump height lower the speckles went away.

During this stage you will be updating materials constantly.  Just because the material looks good in one lighting setting doesn't  mean it will look right in another. or even from one side of the image to the other. This is why I stress all the time to separate your parts.

The third image just shows what I was seeing in KS before I rendered.
Then the final image with a little bit of post. Just to add some drama. You will noticed I made the software do all the heavy lifting. I didnt rely on post work to bring it to life.

My door is always open if you have any questions
Please download the final image to see all the detail and lighting.
Thanks
Tim

TpwUK

Very nicely put together Tim

Martin

rfollett

Hi,
how does the overall scene look? Missing walls to let light in etc...

Thanks Rich

PhilippeV8

Not my style of kitchen  ;)

Other than that, very good render !

anjocoy

:o  1980's  here we come!

Jslowsky

I thought this turned out great. A few points to remember is that if this was used for an actual product shot, (and with a real interior photographer) there would be considerable number of lights added just for effects, such as a rim light on the counters to separate from the background, added lights to walk the viewer's eyes through the room and even a blurred gobo light for shadow variance. So don't be religious when it comes to accuracy. Another trick is the Camera lens choice; 63 degrees (27mm) is the widest lens with no distortion and if you can help it remove the parallax it will make the room taller. Your choice of not showing the ceiling is a good decision, professionals choose to do the same, it will add more volume to your room. Your choice of a open door in the back allows the viewer to "escape" with their eyes, another technique used. I would recommend adding some colored art to the room such as a mosaic behind the range, and I would vary the wood grain so it doesn't repeat. Keep all the metal in the room the same (brushed nickle hinges, door knobs, light rims etc.) All in all this is the best interior I have seen to date on this forum. My 2 cents

feher

Thanks everyone for the comments,
Let me start out by saying I'm in no shape or form an interior designer. I know nothing about the do's and don'ts of the business. So all the tips from Jslowsky was very helpful. Thank you !
I'm a car guy....lol
The main reason why I'm doing these type of images is I wanted to show that Keyshot can be used. Wanted to show you are able to light a scene without getting speckles, IES lights are not blowing anything out, you have full control ...etc
This scene had the front wall removed so I was able to use the dome for some lighting. On the others I have done this was not the case. I kept the room enclosed so I was relying mostly on IES lights and area diffuse to light the scene. Even with those I was able to have no speckles.
I was planning on going back and adding some organic objects to the scene, place a hallway or room where the door is, like Jslowsky mentioned.
More than anything I did this because I  don't want people to get frustrated. Hopefully showing this will inspire people to keep pushing and not give up.
I'm far from done with this scene. I have some tweaking to do after hearing Jslowsky tips.
Thanks again
Tim