Main Menu

neanderthal face

Started by hardboilr, April 30, 2014, 11:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hardboilr

Here's some renders of a neanderthal sculpt.  :)

TpwUK

Amazing result Tobias

Martin

DriesV

Wow, man!
A VR of this would be incredible. ;)

Dries

Josh3D

Looks like my old basketball coach :)

Nice work.

edwardo

I'v been racking my brains and finally it came to me..... its the dude from "prison break". The one that was on death row.

Nice work
Ed

JonWelch

This is awesome! I love the hairs! His eyes look way to clean though, I feel like a neanderthal wouldn't have "Healthy" eyes. But fantastic work.

evilmaul

hehe that s very good looking and grooomed neanderthal guy :)
skin too uniform..needs some breakup in color/spec..and yes the groom..seems like he used and eletric shaver on his head
nice work though!

TpwUK

He got all scrubbed up and shaven for his KS photoshoot Marco :)

Martin

hardboilr

Thanks for the all the comments guys!  :)

You're absolutely right about everything, except him being based on Dominic Purcell (Prison Break) - didn't use any reference of real people so to speak (only anatomy books). ;-)

This project has been a great learning experience, especially in regards to the production and technique angle. In this project, I've tried rendering skin in Octane (both standalone and Blender plugin), Blender Cycles and Zbrush. For each engine it was necessary to tweak the textures maps and setup the materials differently. Ended up going back to Keyshot, which yielded the best results in a very short time. Also very predictable results under different lighting conditions, easy to tweak the look in the editor etc.
In my humble and inexperienced opinion, I would say Keyshot has one of the best skin shader technologies out there atm... and I have obviously only scratched the surface on what can be achieved with it.

In my next project I will try to push the textures more. Didn't use a lot of time on the hair, but there's lot of room for improvement in this area also. In regards to eyes, I think it will be necessary to create a more intricate setup, both in terms of creating a more physical accurate eye model and subsequent use more materials.

A question in regards to gloss/roughness and specular:

I am used to working with specular materials in relation to creating game assets, but I would expect the specular texture to be of less importance in a render engine like Keyshot. Here I would much rather take outset in a constant specular value and create a microsurface texture, which is then plugged into a gloss/roughness channel of the material.

What are your opinions of that?

hardboilr

Updated with slight refinements to eye color, specular values and normal map direction (had originally inverted the normal map direction by mistake)

FeherJr

I love this.
I am learning modeling in Blender at the moment and am trying to figure out how to export each hair particle on one of my models as a object or mesh so i can render it in Keyshot.
If you know could you tell me how. Would be 100% grateful

hardboilr

Quote from: FeherJr on May 06, 2014, 05:44:47 PM
I love this.
I am learning modeling in Blender at the moment and am trying to figure out how to export each hair particle on one of my models as a object or mesh so i can render it in Keyshot.
If you know could you tell me how. Would be 100% grateful

I would like to know how to do this also, as Blender should have some nice hair tools. The hair on the neanderthal is polygon hair from Zbrush.

TpwUK

There is an article on how to export hair from Blender here http://blender.stackexchange.com/questions/2745/convert-cycles-hair-particle-system-to-mesh-object
I have not tried it so can't comment on its validity but would be most interested in seeing ary results.

Martin