Cut-away / section view

Started by bowen192, May 12, 2014, 12:17:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bowen192

So... do we have this in KS5 or is this something planned for the future?

If not, does anyone have any tips on importing a section view'd model from Autodesk Inventor into KS?

Esben Oxholm

Quote from: bowen192 on May 12, 2014, 12:17:42 AM
If not, does anyone have any tips on importing a section view'd model from Autodesk Inventor into KS?

If it works the same way as with Creo, you have to do an extrude cut feature through your model/assembly, before importing it to KeyShot. Hope it helps you :)

bowen192

It doesn't unfortunately.

*waves fist at Autodesk*

Esben Oxholm

Can't you make a simple extruded cut through your assembly? And then import that into KS.

bowen192

No.  >:(

I can extrude the model, but when I import it into KS, the extrude is not present.  I can save it as a step file, but then of course the link is broke.

I don't understand this at all because importing into other programs works.

jeffw

I do not know Inventor but I am guessing it uses a modeling kernel similar to other solid modeling CAD packages so its behavior is likely similar. Making a cut through your assembly at the assembly level is likely only a graphic representation of a section and does not alter the geometry of the parts. You open each part and make the section in the individual parts first then bring your assembly model into KS and it will show the sections. I have done this successfully many times.