Wraping a circle on a caped cylinder

Started by kiksen, May 14, 2014, 01:18:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiksen

Hey

Im working on a project where i have to make a visualization of jar. My big problem is the lid!

I have a round texture i need projected on the lid and wraped down to the sides with out getting distorted.

I have tryed with labels, but that req me to cut up the circle and stretching it out and it will get distorted.

I hope there is a simple solution

jhiker

That's an interesting one.
Oddly, if you start with 'Normal Projection' and cycle through the mapping options, taking each one on the list in turn, by the time you get back to 'Normal Projection' the mapping is completely different!
Why?

TpwUK

Take the lid back into your modelling app and trim the edge so you have top and side for the lid, then label both.
Other option is to export model of the lid as OBJ or FBX and then take into Silo, or even Blender, again anything that supports polygons and UV mapping. Then unwrap the lid and design your texture to fit :).

Trust me though, the first method is easiest

Martin

kiksen

Thanks for the replys

The problem with splitting up the model is the background image that will then need the big tour in photoshop, to make one long img instead of the circle :/

i tryed the UV unwrapping in 3dsmax, and i run into the same problem with the circle to straight line

jhiker

Any ideas why the mapping should be different when you cycle round and back to the original mapping method as mentioned above?

TpwUK

I would guess it's to do with scaling properties of the label as it's manipulated to 'best fit' each mapping type.

Martin

edwardo

Hi Kiksen. From your screen grab it looks like you are using rhino. You can unwrap UV's in rhino (see link)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75cQX-iF8YA

Having said that, I believe your best option would be to do as Martin suggested and split the lid into top surface and side surface, use photoshop to try and match the image up as much as possible then add the text as 'labels' in keyshot.

Hope this helps
Ed

kiksen

Thanks for input.

I have played around with splitting the texture and got a half dicent result.