Noise when using lights

Started by JTrusty, May 28, 2014, 11:09:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KeyShot

KeyShot

Quote from: DriesV on May 30, 2014, 10:06:59 AM
Darn, Henrik beat me to it. :)

Also, it seems to me that the Leather material doesn't catch caustics. Change the ground plane material to something else (say, a plastic) and then caustics should be visible. The light intensity will also be higher. Maybe that solves your "beam throw" issue too. Otherwise you can try changing scene units.

Dries

Dries, you are right about the leather. I noticed that too. It has been fixed, and it should work as expected in the next update. Thanks!

edwardo

sorry to go off topic, but I like your little torchlight - very tactical! Looks like it would mount nicely on the end of my assault rifle

pgagne

Quote from: KeyShot on May 30, 2014, 09:14:56 AM
The issue in this scene is that you have a small painted chip right next to the light source - both are encapsulated in glass. This in effect makes the paint chip a secondary light source for caustics, which does cause noise in the output. We do have some new techniques in the pipeline that will address this issue, but for now your best option is to either make it a metal chip rather than a painted diffuse chip - you can also hide it since the overall effect is minimal (except for the noise).  There is also a little noise from the leather material having a fine procedural bump map. This can be fixed by using a bump map texture or normal map texture instead.

The noise will go away eventually, but it does cause a slower convergence than normal in the scene.

Thanks for sharing the scene though. We will make sure to further optimize KeyShot for this kind of setup.
Hello, When you talk about the painted chip in that scene, do you mean the Pain-gloss cream # 2?
And do you mean to only change the material of the light emitting object to metal to fix the problem???
Thank you and have a nice day!!!

Adi79

Quote from: JTrusty on May 30, 2014, 09:24:20 AM
Quote...but for now your best option is to either make it a metal chip rather than a painted diffuse chip

Simply switching the chip from painted diffuse to metal solve all the noise artifacts! Thanks for the tip...

Word: metal solve all the noise

I'm working on render for underground mine engineering. Therefore I use floodlight instead of environment light. To have it like real, the light have a housing. Got a lot of white dots, white spots (noise) in the render...

tried a lot of things told in the forum like:
1. Bump on material is set too high
2. Need to add more samples to material.
3. If its from a IES light the IES might be bad
4. trying to light the scene with one light at a high wattage instead of adding a few and use a lower wattage

...Rebound / Sample changes, update to latest release too, no improvement.

But set the floodlight housing to metal solve my problem! Thanks...