Main Menu

Knurled

Started by Pedro_Julio, August 24, 2010, 02:07:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pedro_Julio

A few months ago I said I would post up some knurled metal textures.  Sorry...completely forgot.  I have been working on getting a good bump height, and clean tilability and I now have a couple of textures and bump maps put together.  Trouble is that the upload folder is full so, I posted them in a public dropbox.

They're pretty good so far, but I bet I could get some even better ones.  Let me know what you think.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6566850/Knurl3%20bump.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6566850/Knurl3%20texture.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6566850/Kurl4%20Bump.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6566850/Knurl4%20texture.jpg

jhiker

Great work, and many  thanks.

For a novice like myself getting to grips with textures and bumpmaps is proving a little tricky.
I'm not quite sure of the difference between a texture and a bumpmap and when to use them. For instance, can a texture or a bump map be used on it's own or is a texture always used with a bumpmap? Can a texture (or indeed a bumpmap) be used with any of the Keyshot materials?
Is a texture a flat 'colour' without any height/relief - is it the bumpmap which provides the height relief (the 'texture', in other words).
See - I'm confused already!

I can usually get acceptable results by adjusting the projection and scaling but sometimes i think it's just dumb luck and I'd like to properly understand how to apply them.

I'm already staggered with the capabilities that Keyshot offers - once I properly understand textures and bumpmaps it will open up a whole new world for me!
Thanks again.

jhiker

By the way, I notice your knurl looks more regular in all directions than mine. What scaling and projection did you use in this case?
Thanks.

Pedro_Julio

Thanks.  My pleasure.

A texture is basically a decal made to look like a material.  You're exactly right: the bump map, like its name implies, is what provides the simulated textural relief.  Textures can be used on their own, or with the corresponding bump map to make it more convincing.  (depends on whether the material you're trying to simulate even has relief) But you can also use the bump map on its own and apply it to any of the materials in your library.  For example knurled rubber material also looks good on the camera.

A lot of texturing results can be luck, but I've noticed my results are improving with practice.  My first couple of knurl patterns were total train wrecks because I couldn't get things to tile cleanly.

On my example I used a box map projection and I think I turned the intensity of the texture down a little. 

BTW: My favorite new feature of KS2 is the "sync" check box that keeps the texture and bump map in alignment.  SO much easier.

jhiker

Hi Pete,
Many thanks for the clarification.
Yep - the 'sync' tool make life a lot easier  :)

Can't wait to see what the next release has in store...

Speedster

Hi all;
Been wanting to share these knurls, but have been unable to upload them.  Hope it works now, and you find these useful.  You may have to crop them a bit for tiling.  KS2 creates it's own bumps.  Enjoy, and thanks Pedro for sharing yours!
Bill G

Ed

Thanks for sharing Bill - works great.

Did you ever find a good surface ground finish to use on your machined metal surfaces?

Ed

Speedster

Hi Ed;

Actually, I'm working up a set of machined textures at the few times I have to get out into the shop.  Two milled surfaces, a flycut surface and a scraped (flaked) surface if I can remember how to do it!  I still have my set of scrapers.  I already have shared my lathe-turned shaft and end face textures.  My friend has a surface grinder, so I'm going to grind a piece of steel.  My regret is that I sold my 1912 shaper many years ago, and don't have a "flat-bed" shaper finish.  I might fake it.  I'll post them for all to use soon...

Here's my "Lathe Face", "Shaft" and "worn diamond plate" textures.

Bill G