Watches - Looking for feedback

Started by zachraven, June 06, 2014, 10:47:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zachraven

Hello everyone,

I've attached some images of a watch that I'd like some feedback on. Really looking to take them to the next level, add some realism, same thing everyone wants in their renders. Looking for keyshot tips, photoshop tips, etc. I'm using custom HDRI envirnoments, custom textures, and a detailed model. Criticisms welcome!

thanks a lot!

EDIT: Reuploaded images smaller so they actually fit the page...

Ed

Check out these KeyShot watch renders from the 2012 render contest:

http://www.pinterest.com/keyshot/2012-rendering-contest/

Your straps look good.  The issue is the watch.  The lighting makes it look flat and dull.

I'd experiment with HDRs that don't look like a cloudy day.  Find ones that have multiple light sources and more contrast.  Use the HDR editor if you have KeyShot Pro.

The material used for the crystal makes a big difference on the watch face, so experiment with all the glass materials.

Experiment and post again with version 2 :)

Ed

lazer

I can only echo what Ed said, overall we have a good image but you need to make it pop, if the detail is the strap then use DOF to focus on the strap. The watch face is lifeless but please do not take offence use the feedback to improve the next render ;)

zachraven

Thanks for the feedback guys, im working on some new images, will post soon. I'm already liking them more!

lazer

Good for you  ;) looking forward to the new posts :D

Rex

Love the clean design! Pump up the contrast! Can't wait to see more.

zachraven

Here's some updates. I changed up the environment and customized it a bit. I think they are definitely better, thanks for all the constructive criticism, any other thoughts?

Rex

the higher contrast and increased focal length is definitely looking good!

Ed

Yeah - much better. 

I agree, a little more contrast would help the face.  That's tough because you have a rounded polished bezel that will produce a lot of hot spot area and added contrast will accentuate it.

One idea is to soften the bezel with a brushed metal material while increasing the overall image contrast.  If it needs to be a high-polish finish, at least try increasing the material roughness just a little to soften the reflections.

Finally, you can experiment with clown passes so you can selectively apply more contrast just to the face using Photoshop.

Ed

Speedster

Maybe decreasing the HDR brightness a tad would also enhance the contrast and give it more "kick"?  And don't be married to the white background- try other backplates, and maybe add in some vignette.  I agree that the rounded bezel is a hotspot nightmare, but I think it's an exciting departure from "Old School" thinking, and well worth fighting for. Keep pushing it and keep us posted!
Bill G

edwardo

These are getting very nice. I recon you should try adding various 'imperfections' now. Not on the glass or face obviously, but the bezel could do with some very subtle noise/scratches/dinks (as well as its radial brushing); the inside of the strap could do with being a bit rougher; the dial needs dulled down a touch (looks very chrome atm); the ground plane could do with a few specs and imperfections. After that some bokeh blotches would help enhance the DOF (probably done in PS unless you want to try bokeh trick in keyshot?)

https://www.keyshot.com/forum/index.php/topic,7393.msg35261.html#msg35261

Which Ikepod watch is this? And do you know you've got the logo slightly wrong? Sorry, jut being pedantic!

nice work
Ed

Dreamsmith

I think they will look awesome with cripy clear environment reflections instead of soft fadey ones. The watch has softened rounded features and the contrast of crisp clear reflections will make it look cooler. Especially on the glass. The inside of the strap also needs some texture I recon. Just a suggestion.

J