Any Way to Get Something That Looks Like This Wireframe?

Started by Robb63, June 13, 2014, 06:59:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robb63

I am working on a project for a client and initially they told me they wanted to animate one of their products with the components as a complete assembly, then animating into an exploded view. No problem I thought, then they decided they wanted it to look like CAD data and not realistic. Even easier I thought, I'll use the "Mesh", or a modified "Toon" material and the render times will be way less.

Trouble is, they want a material that looks much more like CAD (from Auto-CAD, or Rhino), not the materials I had planned on using. Is there a way to get a material that looks more like the attached? This is not the product, but it is the look they want. This is the "Ghosted" view in Rhino. I can do the animation in Rhino if I need to using Bongo, but I find Bongo so frustrating to use!! I had always planned to do this in Keyshot, and would still like to if I can.

DriesV

Hi Robb,

Maybe you can extract isocurves in Rhino and then split your surfaces with these curves?

Dries

Rex

Robb,

When you say mesh do you mean the "Wireframe" material type?

Robb63

Rex,
Sorry, yes the "wireframe" material is what I had planned on using, but I don't think they like the triangulation you get with it. The part you are showing isn't bad, but the part I'm actually working with has some very unattractive meshing going on in a very noticeable part of the model.

I think they are just used to seeing CAD iso-curves in data when they work and like that look... The trouble is, I'm not working directly with the client. I'm working through an agency, so anything I do, or he says is passing through several people.