Support for retina and high res displays

Started by zachraven, June 04, 2014, 11:19:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zachraven

Hey guys, I'm using the demo of Keyshot 5 on my late 2012 rMBP. I'm disappointed to see that keyshot still doesn't support retina displays. On the June 3rd webinar I asked when retina displays will be supported, and the answer was "They are now." Unless I'm doing something wrong, they definitely are not supported. The entire UI is fuzzy, and even worse, my renderings are fuzzy. I can't see the true image until it is finished and I view it in my renderings folder, or open it in Photoshop.

Is anyone else having this issue? Its been like this all through Keyshot 4 and now 5, i thought high res displays just weren't supported in v4 and expected them to be supported now.

edwardo

thomasteger

We haven't adopted the latest version of QT due to some instabilities in the libraries. We hope to get it done for 5.1.

Running the Retina display at higher resolution does solve the "fuzziness" issue.

zachraven

Quote from: Thomas Teger on June 04, 2014, 09:45:40 PM
We haven't adopted the latest version of QT due to some instabilities in the libraries. We hope to get it done for 5.1.

Running the Retina display at higher resolution does solve the "fuzziness" issue.

Good to hear Thomas! It's been almost 2 years since the retina MacBook was released, so I'm really looking forward to it! :)

thomasteger

We know that. Again, it is the dependency on QT for our UI libraries that prevents us from supporting it properly.

edwardo

Quoteit is the dependency on QT for our UI libraries that prevents us from supporting it properly.

Ah, pesky ol' quick time. I thought it would be something like that.

Just a though for when you get round to implementing it...
So my MBP retina screen is 2880x1800 pix and when KS is fired up it seems to be displayed at 1440x900 when in "full screen" mode. It would be nice to have the UI at full res but have the option to view the main window at 2880x1800 OR 1440x900, both occupying the full screen. The reason being that its nice to work in "full screen" mode but jumping from 1440x900 to retina resolution would slow the realtime render down significantly (by x4?).

Quite often I do a screen grab (at 1440x900) just before outputting the render (at 2880x1800) then toggle between the two in apples 'preview' app. Its like getting instant laser eye surgery. The detail is amazing! and you don't even have to worry to much about AA anymore. KS + Retina screen = images you just want to touch, or sometimes lick! I also think the new KS5 interface is going to look beautiful on the retina at full res - the new icons will get to shine!

What can I say... I'm a sucker for pixels! (Can't wait to see a tasty Keyshot animation rendered out on a UHD 4K television...mercy)

ed

thomasteger

edwardo

andy.engelkemier

edwardo has a good idea, and not just for retina displays.

I may want to choose my resolution to be something like 800x600 for speediness, but still see it larger. My screens aren't retina, but it might still be nice to be able to display the content full width/height. This is especially true for presentation purposes. I don't have my dual 12-core xeon machine yet, so I'm stuck with my measly 12 threads.  ;)