KS4 material to KS5

Started by Arian Shamil, June 15, 2014, 11:35:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arian Shamil

Hi!
Can i use my KS4 material on KS5?
Thanks

Claus Jensen

Yes, you can either use them from a shared folder between KeyShot 4 and 5.
You can also export materials from KeyShot 4 to a KMP file and and import this into KeyShot 5 - this will ensure that your textures are copied together with the material files.

Arian Shamil

Thank you very much for the infos :)

Knarlsbest

For me the majority of materials did render properly but not all. Some of my keyshot 4 shaders did not work in keyshot 5 and ended up showing rendering errors. Some even crashed my keyshot 5, and I got this error message, "this .mtl file is not compatible with keyshot 5, try importing it through material library to convert", I did just that, and it still wouldn't import at all.

How do you export these materials as .kmp and import them into keyshot 5, will that resolve the issue?

thomasteger

Knarlsbest

yeah here it is. It was downloaded over the net as a freebie giveaway for keyshot 4.

Claus Jensen

You need to move the 2 mtl files to the Desktop or some other place than the material library.
Start KeyShot, create a folder in the material library where you want your new materials, choose import, select the mtl file from the Desktop.
You might have to render the material thumbnails again to get the proper look. Right click on the folder and select "Render Thumbnails".

Knarlsbest

Thanks, it imported well now.
I'd just like to know if there is a way to bring back keyshot 4 drag material onto object. IN keyshot 5 it halts for quite a bit to ask the user if they want to retain materials and textures, how do I bypass this for instant copy over of material?