Indirect lighting in KeyShot

Started by Esben Oxholm, June 20, 2014, 01:34:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Esben Oxholm

Dries, how do you use the indirect bounces and what's the result? I've tried it out myself, but can't really see any difference.

DriesV

Indirect bounces are really useful in scenes with lots of indirectly lit areas. This is especially true for interiors, but also for many other types of scenes. Whenever there's 'enclosed' geometry in your scene, indirect bounces can have a significant impact.
Attached are two shots of the KS cornell box scene, with varying indirect bounces.

Increasing indirect bounces can really add life to such scenes.
In fact, I've come to a point where I default to 2 indirect bounces.

Dries

Despot

Consider yourself duly kicked Dries  ;)

Agree with you on the reference card idea - there are features in KS now that need explaining, although saying that, I do love to experiment...

I am so pleased that Luxion added indirect lighting, not only does it produce more accurate GI, it gives more accurate colour bleeding onto adjacent surfaces - I'm getting to the point where I'm activating it for every scene I render.

J

DriesV

Quote from: The Metal Master on June 20, 2014, 02:33:41 AM
Agree with you on the reference card idea - there are features in KS now that need explaining, although saying that, I do love to experiment...

I think many users don't realize how well KS handles lots of traditionally very tricky lighting scenarios.
Especially those that involve caustics.

Dries

DriesV

Last bit of jabble about indirect bounces...

I think KeyShotVR is a great way to present the effect of parameter changes.
Here's a quick example I made for explaining indirect bounces:
Indirect bounces in KeyShot

Dries

Sandy

Really cool stuff - just started messing around with curvature to add a little dirt to cut lines in car body panels.

Dries, when you speak about indirect bounces are you referring to adjusting the global illumination setting in the advanced controls of the rendering options page?

Sandy

DriesV

Quote from: Sandy on June 21, 2014, 09:46:55 AM
Dries, when you speak about indirect bounces are you referring to adjusting the global illumination setting in the advanced controls of the rendering options page?

Indirect bounce control is still an experimental feature. You might want to dig into the KeyShot preferences and make sure the option 'experimental features' is checked (user interface tab).
You will then get a slider for indirect bounces in the project settings tab.

Changes there are reflected in realtime rendering and all methods for offline rendering.

The slider in render options you're referring to controls GI quality. It lets you set the sampling level for GI.

Dries