Cinema 4D Rigid Body Dynamics rendered in KS5 (with stills)

Started by Despot, June 24, 2014, 01:25:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Despot

Wanted to try out Motion Blur in KS5, so this is my simple effort...

Used Rigid Body Dynamics in Cinema 4D R13 for the simulation, baked it out to keyframes (nightmarish) then imported the resulting animation into KeyShot as an .FBX

I'm a bit disappointed with the compression that Vimeo has applied to the finished movie - also, bear in mind that I didn't have the time or CPU grunt to render at a better quality (ideally 15 minutes per frame, this was 5 per frame) or resolution - was wanting some rendering help, but didn't know who to ask...

At some point I want to render at HD resolution with better quality, but that will have to wait.

Here's the Vimeo link :

https://vimeo.com/99011914

And here it is before the dreadful Vimeo compression...

https://www.mediafire.com/?r2t0y1xd8ejhp1b

Thanks for looking

Polycarbonate material by the magnificent Dries...

J

TpwUK

I'd say excellent result as it is, even with bad compression :P

Martin

DriesV

That looks totally cool! 8)

One niggle... I notice the amount of noise varies along the length of the animation. In the 'busier' sections there's more noise than in the beginning & end.
Did you render with max. time per frame? Max. samples per frame will yield more consistent quality.

Dries

edwardo

Holy cow! thats fantastic! I'v been tempted to take a look at real flow or similar, but the rigid body dynamics within C4D are pretty impressive (as youv shown here).

The stills with motion bur look great too, very authentic, and its nice to see it applied to something other than the rear wheels of cars.

Also, I like your wee red... eh... things, whatever they are... electronic fruit?

Ed

Despot

Thanks guys... much appreciated

QuoteOne niggle... I notice the amount of noise varies along the length of the animation. In the 'busier' sections there's more noise than in the beginning & end.
Did you render with max. time per frame? Max. samples per frame will yield more consistent quality.

Dries comes to the rescue again... it was rendered using max time per frame, did not know about better noise consistency using max samples... but to be truthful, I'm not entirely sure how to use max samples, can you enlighten me please ?

QuoteI'd say excellent result as it is, even with bad compression

Cheers Martin...

QuoteAlso, I like your wee red... eh... things, whatever they are... electronic fruit?

Do you not know 264 shiny red Octupi when you see them Ed ?!  ;)

DriesV

QuoteI'm not entirely sure how to use max samples, can you enlighten me please?
Max. samples works pretty much the same way as max. time. It is the same algorithm.
To know how much samples are needed for a particular shot:
Start a single frame render with, say, 1024 samples. Watch the progress in the realtime preview. If quality is good enough at, say, 25% then you can set max. samples to 256 (1/4 * 1024) for final rendering.

Quote264
Too funny a number... ;D  ;)

Dries

edwardo

QuoteDo you not know 264 shiny red Octupi when you see them Ed ?!  ;)

that sounds like the follow up song to Nena's "99 luftbaloons"

Despot

QuoteMax. samples works pretty much the same way as max. time. It is the same algorithm.
To know how much samples are needed for a particular shot:
Start a single frame render with, say, 1024 samples. Watch the progress in the realtime preview. If quality is good enough at, say, 25% then you can set max. samples to 256 (1/4 * 1024) for final rendering.

Thanks for the clarification Dries, in my next animation that's the method I will use - although if it is the same algorithm, as you say it is, then it mystifies me slightly as to how it cancels/distributes noise better than max time

Quotethat sounds like the follow up song to Nena's "99 luftbaloons"

Now there's a blast from the past...  :)

DriesV

Quotethen it mystifies me slightly as to how it cancels/distributes noise better than max time
Some frames are more complex than others and will require more render time to reach the same quality (sampling) level.
If you assign the same render time to all frames, then there will be quality differences across frames. With a fixed amount of samples for all frames, they will all reach the same quality.

Dries

slater

wow very nice work; and i'm impressioned about your quality.
But i just think, your materials are a "secrets" or do you share sometime something about? That should be usefully for entire keyshot community.

Chad Holton

Josh3D

I've watched this way too many times. Woke last night to octopi falling atop me.

Magnus Skogsfjord

My eyes actually caught the container. Loving the scratchy plastic material on that one!

Artur

Hi to all,

I am trying to export the animation in to FBX format but keyshot isn't importing the animation part.

Any help would be helpful.

Despot

You need to bake the Modynamics to keyframes, then KeyShot will 'see' the animation.

You will need to do this either manually (good luck) or via a plugin

J