Stainless Steel Worm Box

Started by Chad Holton, September 21, 2010, 01:23:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chad Holton

Hey fellow users. I'm currently working on this rendering. This box is supposed to be made from all stainless parts and no paint. Let me know your opinion if I pulled this one off or not. I'll start off by saying the ball bearing cage looks a little too green... anything else? Thanks for looking!
Ed, if you check this out, take a look at those bolts.  ;) It would drive your contractor nuts.  :D

Ed

Yep - random bolt patterns.  Looks like they were torqued to spec!

The internal parts look great, except for the green tint as you noted.

The outer parts are hard to judge without knowing how they were machined.

For example, I would guess the bottom plate gets surfaced on a mill using a fly cutter.  If so, it would be good to get a texture that shows the large diameter circular marks produced by the cutter.

For a brushed metal appearance, I have had good luck just adding a brushed normal map only (no texture map).  I think it came with Keyshot, or maybe it came with the green Mustang :)

Ed

jhiker

Very nice!
What are the yellow things at the top - nylon hole plugs?
And the bumpmap on the casing exterior - is that 'orange peel'?

Thanks for sharing....

David

Very nice use of textures,
Why is it green?
is that you environment?

Speedster

OK, I'm convinced- the bolt heads look great torqued to spec, and not all lined up or "squared".  Guess I'm just too old-school.  Also, I'll never again use the cliche "back in the day", as if the 16th Century was all that great!

Now I'm fired up again, and will really (!) try to get out in the shop this weekend and machine up the faces, like fly-cut, mill marks, etc, photograph them and post them here.  Tool marks is what this model, and many of our others, need.

Bill G

Chad Holton

Thanks Ed for the tips! Also, these perfectly aligned bolts on my previous renderings are driving me nuts now.. I can't sleep or eat - I'm going to have to go back and redo everything!  ;) Seriously though, it's the little details that make the difference, so thanks for pointing out the bolt heads/patterns. I still use materials that came with the green mustang out of habit. :P

Thanks, jhiker! Yes, they are hole plugs to keep water out on this particular unit. You are correct again, the cast area is using the orange peel bump. Everything but the housing is using either bar or plate.

Thanks, David! I had to rely more on textures with this one. I like to use a hint of green with some metals, I really do not like to use gray any of the time. So, I got a little carried away with the bearing cage.  :-[

Thanks, Bill! Please post your textures - I will definitely use them. If it's not to much to ask can you make them pattern friendly too?  ::)

Speedster

Hey,Cholton-
QuoteI can't sleep or eat - I'm going to have to go back and redo everything!

I so agree, and some of mine have 1000's of them!

Here the "Lathe End Face" I use.

More later...
Bill G

guest84672

Chad Holton

Quote from: Speedster on September 22, 2010, 09:02:44 AM
I so agree, and some of mine have 1000's of them!
I feel for you Bill!
Thanks for the bump and texture. Keep them coming!  :)

Speedster

Forgot to mention that the bump was created in FilterForge.  www.filterforge.com 
Bill G

Ralf-S

Chad Holton

Had a chance to work on this a little today. Since this box is used for washdown applications, I thought it'd be nice to show some water in the rendering. Do you guys think it's too much?? If not I may add a little more floating in the air? And maybe a touch on top the box and feet??

Ed

Now I understand why it is made from stainless.

I'd find a way to put some drops on top of the box and on top of the base plate.  Because my first impression was that the box sprung a leak on the bottom :)

Ed

jhiker

Cholton - how did you do that....  ;)

guest84672

Water is a bit dark - you may need to increase your ray bounces ...