How to control Label position

Started by AitorVillena, July 02, 2014, 02:16:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AitorVillena

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to automate as much as possible the rendering process of a product, so I have a model on a .bip file with everything defined (position, cameras, HDRI, background color...) so I just have to change material (and Labels) of the design and render.

But I have to know if I can have more control positioning Labels. Now, as I know, when positioning a Label, I can click more or less where I want to apply the Label, and adjust manually the size, scale, position, etc... Is there any way to accurately place a Label on a defined position??

And if I want to position another Label on the same size/position, is there any way to make it fastly? (as by now, I have to manually copy/paste the properties of the first label).

I also need to reserve an area where the Label is applied, and make sure that I can't apply a Label outside of that area. Is that possible?? It would be an area, like the white rectangle below, and make sure that when I apply a Label, it can't be placed outside of this area. And it would be great if the Label would automatically fit to this size. Is this possible??

Thanks in advance for your help!

Speedster

I often face this issue with product labels.

To define and restrict the area I place the correctly sized "box" using a "split line" (in SolidWorks) and UV map it in a different color. You should be able to apply and size a reference decal in all CAD apps. Not as a border, but as a solid. This then defines and maps the label space in KeyShot. But you still have to size and position it.

The trick to simplifing multiple versions is to duplicate either the entire model (best) or the individual part. Do as many copies as necessary, each with their own label. Then check and uncheck to chose the version to add to the render que.

But for now you do have to deal with positioning each.

Bill G

Rex

Welcome to the forum Aitor!

- It sounds like you are using the "Normal Projection" type to map your label. I would suggest aligning the surface you wish to map to the X,Y, or Z axis and use the corresponding "Planar" projection type for more control and accuracy. If you drag and drop the label into the labels list as opposed to directly onto the model the label will automatically be centered on that part which should help you with positioning.

- In order to replace a label and retain position, use the "Load label" folder icon found in the labels tab or just drag and drop from the library on the label thumbnail. Perhaps you may want to do this to a duplicate as Bill suggested so you don't lose your original work.

- To "reserve" and area for the label I agree with Bill that you could use a split line or something similar to separate that section from the rest of the part so the material will be independent. Making sure the separated rectangular area is unlinked from the rest of the part try using the technique I outlined in the first bullet to fit to size.

Hope this helps!

AitorVillena

Thanks for your help!

I'm not SW user, I use PTC Creo, and I don't know what is the "split line" tool, but for now, what I've done is to create a little offset of the area I want to "reserve", and apply another color in it. This way I can apply a new material on KeySHot, apply a Label in it, define its position, and then, with all the Label properties defined, just Load a new Label (of the same size) and it gets in the same position.

The issue is that I'm a CAD user, but I'm trying to create an automated process for non-CAD users, who canĀ“t make changes in the 3D models. As a workaround (without any changes on 3D model) I've noticed that once I apply a Label on a certain position, with a certain size, everytime I Load a new Label on the same material, the image maintains the size of the first Label (even if the new image has a different size or aspect ratio) so it is a good thing for what I need.

The thing I need now is to know how to control the Label placing. I'm using the Planar X mapping type, and I'd like to control the best way possible the placing of the Label. As by now, I click on the place I want to place the Label, and then adjust size, position, etc... I need to know how to exactly control the Scale, Shift X and Shift Y:

Scale: I guess that depending on the DPI, and the number of pixels for size (width and height) I can calculate the real size.
Shift X: What does it control? Is it in mm? Is it the vertical position from the top of the model in mm?
Shift Y: What does it control? Is it in mm? Is it the horizontal position from the left of the model in mm?

I'd like to get some control of these parameters to place my labels properly. Below you can see a sketch with what I think Shift X and Y can be...

I also have the problem that the Label is shown on the inner side of the part, and I can't change the Depth on the Planar X mapping type. Is there any way to control it?

Rex

You're very welcome.

- The only mapping type that gives the depth slider is normal projection but since you've created an offset surface to place the label on you can unlink the material and make sure the label is not applied to the rest of the part.

- Once a label has been applied to a material and that material has been saved to your library you can edit the .mtl file using a text editor and input the DPI value so that the label will show accurately at a scale of 1 when the correct scene units are set through edt>set scene units. Open the .mtl file using a text editor and find the word "dpi", enter the correct dpi value, save your changes and reapply your material in KeyShot (you may have to relaunch the application). There will be one dpi-line in the the .mtl file for every texture applied.  Make sure you correct all of the dpi values if you have multiple labels applied to the material.

- With scene units set and dpi values added to the mtl files, the shift x and y values will be the distance (in your set scene units) from the center of the part so in theory these values should both be 0 if units and dpi are set. However, there is currently a bug that offsets the label/texture by .5 in x and y.

- In the attached example you can see the label requires a shift x of -.5 and shift y of .5 to center the .5"x2" label on the .5"x2" surface.