Parametric design & drafting for a CAD noob?

Started by DriesV, July 07, 2014, 07:21:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DriesV

This is not related to KeyShot, but since there's a great variety of CAD users over here I'll ask it anyway... :P

My dad runs a metalworking shop and now wants to do some basic modeling & drafting.
Think structural steel, square & round tubes... Nothing too fancy. :)

The requirements are:
* Solid modeling (no surfacing)
* Parametrics (at least ability to adapt existing designs)
* Drafting (incl. BOM/part lists)
* +/- €2k
* EASY TO USE! (no real CAD experience and wanting to get up to speed quickly)

I'm gravitating towards Spaceclaim Engineer or Geomagic Design.
Any other good candidates?

Dries

Eron

well, if ease of use has a certain priority, my first choice would be either ViaCAD or Shark FX:
http://www.punchcad.com/

best wishes !

TpwUK

Wouldn't your MoI give him a taster to see if he likes it and modelling in general ? - I am pretty sure MoI can be installed on up to 3 computers at once, but can only be used on one at any one time. If you get files as STEP, once imported you can edit as native MoI. It exports as STL too incase he wants to do some turning etc.

Martin

DriesV

Quote from: Eron on July 07, 2014, 07:49:03 AM
well, if ease of use has a certain priority, my first choice would be either ViaCAD or Shark FX:
http://www.punchcad.com/

best wishes !

Great tip! I hadn't considered Shark FX before. I'll check it out.

Martin,
Drafting is really a must. MoI doesn't do that.

Dries

TpwUK

Hi DriesV -
QuoteMartin,
Drafting is really a must. MoI doesn't do that.

True, sorry mate :)

Martin

fario

hello

SharkFX

+1000

solid modelling, also surface and mesh.
history and editing
fabulous rounding tools
technical drawings
easy for use

import - export:
acis, sat
step
iges
rhino
ProE
3ds
dxf,...
stl
pbj
and more...

it is my CAD modeler for many years.

Antoine

GDBranch

I would suggest Geomagic Design for a complete package or start with Cubify which will be a bare bones package.
I've been using it for the last 7 years and have yet to find a shortcoming for the type of work you describe.  Cubify
would probably be 90% of what he needs/wants.  The only shortcoming would be the lack of import capability for
file types from other CAD packages.  In Cubify  that can be added for very little additional cost.
Gary

DriesV

Quote from: GDBranch on July 12, 2014, 04:32:59 AM
I would suggest Geomagic Design for a complete package or start with Cubify which will be a bare bones package.
I've been using it for the last 7 years and have yet to find a shortcoming for the type of work you describe.  Cubify
would probably be 90% of what he needs/wants.  The only shortcoming would be the lack of import capability for
file types from other CAD packages.  In Cubify  that can be added for very little additional cost.
Gary

Geomagic Design does look very similar to SolidWorks (which I use every day). So that should help to get up to speed fast.
I think Geomagic Design Elements might be a good solution. + You get some basic version of KeyShot too! ;)
How much drafting does Cubify Design do? In the specs I read: "basic 2D"...

Dries

edwardo

have you looked at fusion 360? its basic, but good at solids (i don't really use it, just now and again for the t-splines)

i think it is parametric (of sorts) too.

ed

DriesV

Quote from: edwardo on July 12, 2014, 05:16:27 AM
have you looked at fusion 360? its basic, but good at solids (i don't really use it, just now and again for the t-splines)

i think it is parametric (of sorts) too.

ed

It currently doesn't do drafting. I think it might come soon, though.
Imho, Fusion 360 is too experimental to pick as a primary tool.

SolidWorks Standard would be really great, but the last quote I got was €6000 excl. maintenance. That's just plain stupid as in the US you only pay $4000 for the base version.

Dries

edwardo

Are PTC products still stupidly priced? I haven't even looked since I used proE wf2 once upon a time

GDBranch

DriesV
I do mechanical design work for a living and need to create 2D drawings for our machinists as well
as outside vendors.  I used AutoCAD for many years and find Geomagic much easier to use and not
lacking at all.
Geomagic Design was originally Alibre.  The forum for users is still under the Alibre name at http://forum.alibre.com/
You might want to browse it to get a feel for its capabilities and the support you can expect from fellow
users should you go that way.  I think the atmosphere is very much like this forum.
And yes, depending on the package you purchase, Keyshot is included.  I started with 2.0 and now
have 5.0.  It's not the top package of Keyshot but I've found it excellent for my needs and you can always upgrade
at very reasonable cost.
Good Luck
Gary

DriesV

Just trying IRONCAD (& INNOVATE) too. Wow! Very slick software. Much better than SolidWorks in many ways...

Dries

Arnaud

Yes, I would suggest Ironcad, which is a very efficient 3D package, not known enough in Europe. The software is really a great challenger in the entry level category.

- Very intuitive direct modeling capabilities
- Catalog based workflow
- On demand parametric features
- Nice 2D drawing including BOM
- Direct Keyshot integration (KS4 actually, KS5 soon)

DriesV

Quote from: Arnaud on July 15, 2014, 03:53:47 AM
Yes, I would suggest Ironcad, which is a very efficient 3D package, not known enough in Europe. The software is really a great challenger in the entry level category.

- Very intuitive direct modeling capabilities
- Catalog based workflow
- On demand parametric features
- Nice 2D drawing including BOM
- Direct Keyshot integration (KS4 actually, KS5 soon)

+1 for Catalog based workflow. I had a major positive WTF moment when I discovered how to do sheet metal design using catalog items.

Dries