custom hdz environments bug

Started by andy.engelkemier, June 26, 2014, 03:51:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy.engelkemier

I think I've narrowed the current environment bug down to this. If you edit an environment by adding some pins to it, you'll get an interesting bug. First, you can't use the queue, which I'm guessing is the same bug.

To replicate this, add a pin or two to an environment. Make it a darker environment that is very different from your current one so you can see the problem easier.
Save your environment. you don't want to lose your work.
Save your file.
Close Keyshot. This step might not be necessary.
Open up your file.
go to the environment tab.
If it's still not messed up, go through a couple different tabs, then revisit the environment tab. It Might not mess up until you click to change the environment settings in some way.

Notice, your environment is still set to the correct environment, but it's Actually set to the startup environment. Click to change the environment and select yours. It should work now.....until you come back to the environment tab again.

I'm pretty sure I got it. Hopefully I didn't miss a step. I repeated that on two different machines, both with completely new KS5 files. So hopefully it's confirmed repeatable by the keyshot crew. This is a pretty nasty bug, making the queue completely useless.

Rex

At what point does the queue become useless? Is the "Add to queue" radio button grayed out? I followed the steps you outlined with no problems. Are you on mac or windows?

andy.engelkemier

it becomes useless if your environments have been edited in keyshot. I guess that's where the bug comes in. There are a few threads about it now. If you edit an environment, you end up getting an error that switches to the startup environment as soon as you open the file, or even switch to the environment tab, which Also means that you can't render in the queue without it switching back to the startup hdr.

andy.engelkemier

windows. 7.
Also, we just did a fresh install of windows just to make sure there wasn't a problem with something else.
I ran into another problem. I duplicated an imported object which actually has several versions of a model all in one part. I duplicated that and hid different parts of the model to create the versions.
I sent each setup to the queue after setting them up. They each rendered with all part visible.

I have yet to have the queue work successfully. Something like this has ruined every single attempt. The cameras will be wrong, the environment will be wrong, something.....something always ends up messing up.

I'm no longer comfortable using the queue because it has not been reliable for us. The same thing goes for states. I am very willing to help figure out why it's not working for us, but it's working for you. But it is definitely not working as it should.