A question on gemstone scale & gemstone colour

Started by Phil1000, July 25, 2014, 11:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil1000

Hi all, my first post here.

I have a diamond that I have created in Lightwave at 4mm round. Exported as an OBJ and imported into Keyshot 5 with the option 'keep original' and unit scale set to 'mm' as expected.

The diamond looks great as a clear white diamond but when I change the material to blue sapphire, the diamond stays clear white. After messing around I've found that this is to do with scale...but can't a 4mm blue sapphire be deep blue in colour?..I thought so at least.

So I scaled both models 300x larger and the blue sapphire colour is seen as I'd originally hoped but now the original environment lighting and highlights are messed up.

Both the ring and diamond have been modeled to a real world scale, but what is going wrong? Can anyone help. I'd expect the deep colours on a 4mm sapphire? Google searches online prove to me that you can get a deep blue sapphire at 4mm round.
for example:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Natural-Blue-Sapphire-Round-Cut-4mm-Gem-Gemstone-/260529663576

I've tried changing the scene scale from the Edit Menu but i'm really just clicking and hoping for the best as I have no clue what I'm doing with that setting.

Can anyone help, it would be much appreciated.

Feel free to ask any questions.

Rex

Hey Phil welcome to the forum!

If your model was modeled in MM then set your scene units to MM using the correlate option. Let me know if this helps.

Rex

Phil1000

Hi Rex,
Thank you for the welcome  :).

I currently do have the scene set to milimeters.
Under Edit > Set Scene Units I have it set to Milimeters and for good measure I have clicked it again for both options of Convert Units and Collelate Units.

The sapphire still renders clear.

I've saved my keyshot scene as a package (is this how I can send my scene and models to you) and attached it here so you can see the for yourself that the models are real world scale etc.

Many thanks.

Rex

ok I have filed this with development. In the meantime you can either use the larger scale or you can decrease the "transparency" of the gem material to show more color.

Rex

Phil1000

Thanks Rex, I look forward to getting a response, I hope this is a genuine problem others are getting too and the development team fix this for us.

what should I do now? Should I keep watching this thread for their response?

Rex

Phil,

I'm keeping an eye on the bug tracker and there hasn't been an update. Post again in about a week if you don't hear from me.

Phil1000

Hey Rex,
I hope everything is ok.

Have you seen or heard anything from the Keyshot Dev. team yet?

Phil1000

Hi Rex, Hope All is great.

Any updates on this?

Thanks.