Tips and tricks for doing woodgrain on furniture

Started by tonysqueri, July 30, 2014, 09:37:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonysqueri

Hi everyone,

I've been using Keyshot for over a year and I'm pretty familiar with it, but I just recently starting working for a furniture design company that makes a lot of wood furniture. I want to make highly believable and accurate renders down to the direction of the wood grain, and I was wondering if anyone has some helpful methods for how to apply believable woodgrain textures to a piece of furniture like a table or a bookcase.

Also I was curious if anyone knows where I could find a texture package of exotic woodgrains, or if that even exists. So far I've been using this veneer website www.certainlywood.com, which has good images but none of them can tile seemlessly, which can be an issue.

Ultimately I just want my furniture renders to be as realistic as possible!

Thanks for the help!

Josh3D

Speedster

Remember to "Map" (UV Mapping) surfaces in different colors (any color) in your native CAD program.  This allows you to apply the wood texture and align the wood grain as required, like drawer fronts with the grain horizontal, and the stiles vertical.  You know the drill, but it does have to be mapped to tell KeyShot where the different surfaces are.
Bill G