FBX camera import from Maya

Started by harshcg, September 23, 2010, 07:03:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

harshcg

I have a Car scene setup in Maya2011 with multiple cameras. After exporting FBX format and trying to import in Keyshot 2.0.46  the scene imports fine, but when i check cameras in View, there are only default cameras.
Its not importing the cameras I setup in Maya atall.
Am I doing something wrong or keyshot doesn't support importing of cameras. Which I believe is an important feature?  :(
Quick response is appreciated!

guest84672

Cameras are currently not imported.

harshcg

thanks Thomas. Any suggestions what would be alternate options to use same camera setups from Maya. Or when will this be implemented in Keyshot?
Also what's the use of having FBX import then? Curious  ::)

guest84672

you may want to PM jbeau - I think he may have done it.

We are in the process of rewriting all of our importers. This is on the list of things to do, but I can't give you an ETA.

At least you will get the geometry for now.

harshcg

How about an exporter plugin for Maya?
I'm sorry to say but for on of that reason...I had to become a customer of Octane Render  :-\

guest84672

You mean a plugin for Maya so it links the 2 together? If so, then yes, this is on our list.

harshcg

Yes a plugin to link Maya and Keyshot together. For me in a proper production, I have to use Maya to build up my scenes and take complicated tasks over to Keyshot for rendering. There can't be much use of taking mesh 'One Off' to Keyshot for rendering and that's all.
For Keyshot to grow more, in my opinion these updates are very important!
* Importing Cameras from maya to keyshot and vice versa.
* Usage of proper FBX import with animation or atleast export animated frames from maya to Keyshot.
* Usage of Lights!

I know I am asking for too much, but this is how keyshot can grow as a whole and be on top of its competitors. Anyway, is the Maya integration will be available in Keyshot 2.1 (next update)? I am looking forward to buy it...and myself being a character artist, I would love to try out the SSS material in new version!
Thanks

millansky

Or making something like "GoZ" feature(by Pixologic) would be fantastic also.

guest84672

jbeau

Looking forward to this being integrated into KS. I hope you consider 3dsmax as higher priority then Maya, but whatever the case may be we'll work it out. In the meantime, our clients are asking for this, but for now the best solution is Vray/Octane. I'm not impressed with Vray/RT GPU, KS and Octane kick its butt:) If there are any timelines on this function or you need beta testers please don't hesitate to contact me directly. Until then, keep up the good work.
Best Regards,
~Jbeau

guest84672

Thanks, Jeremy - shoot me an e-mail.

We will have the expanded FBX import in the next update. KeyShot will be able to read the camera information from the FBX file.

keisuh

Great news I guess. Much more possibility now.