Main Menu

Fuzzy!

Started by Nismo400R, January 19, 2016, 07:56:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nismo400R

I have a job I am working on that I unfortunately can not share any images on due to customer  protection. However here is what I need help with. I am rendering a chair that goes into an aircraft. The headrest and arms are leather which is easy to make. But the rest of the chair is in Mohair....and I'm struggling.... Unfortunately all we have for 3d is Maya soI can't make fur...but does anyone have any idea how to make a fuzzy texture? Velvet has the correct sheen but needs to be fluffy....please help! :-\

Esben Oxholm

Hi Nismo.

Try to give this one a look: https://youtu.be/Fb68rYImiXg?t=39m21s
I'm not sure if it is the look you are after, though.

Nismo400R

Unfortunately Youtube is blocked at work. I will watch it when I get home. I was just hoping someone had made something close lately. Or if anyone knows a trick to make fur in Maya and have it export the geometry.
I did see a keyshot of a tennis ball...I wonder how they did that

jt_pedersen

You can import maya pfx-hair as curves into KeyShot6, that may work?

TpwUK

Quote from: Nismo400R on January 20, 2016, 05:04:15 AM
Unfortunately Youtube is blocked at work. I will watch it when I get home. I was just hoping someone had made something close lately. Or if anyone knows a trick to make fur in Maya and have it export the geometry.
I did see a keyshot of a tennis ball...I wonder how they did that

Hi Nismo - The tennis ball was from Despot and was done with C4D and the hair was exported as mesh for KeyShot to render.

Quote from: jt_pedersen on January 20, 2016, 05:10:08 AM

You can indeed import the hair/fur curves from Maya, but as far as i know the shader is not ready yet. I think C4D curves are now supported too

Martin

jt_pedersen

Quote from: TpwUK on January 20, 2016, 06:29:37 AM

Quote from: jt_pedersen on January 20, 2016, 05:10:08 AM

You can indeed import the hair/fur curves from Maya, but as far as i know the shader is not ready yet. I think C4D curves are now supported too

Martin

There is not a dedicated hair/fur shader but it is possible to use metal/plastic for the hair and the randomizer node in the material graph is also quite handy to create some play with the colors.

I am not an artist so beware, but this is possible.

ps: I am sure something more impressive is feasible ;)

TpwUK

Not played with it yet, I have Maya here but still not gotten into that yet. But i would consider metallic paint with gradient or curvature shader for generating a nice glossy just been washed n conditioned hair look :P

Martin