Main Menu

Portal, Series Two

Started by Speedster, August 06, 2014, 02:57:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Speedster

Hi all;

Been playing with my DAZ-3D figure, working my way up to an image I've had in my head that looks at the issue of breast cancer, which my cousin Kathy recently lost her battle with.

A most interesting learning curve!  The figure is a stock DAZ shipped with the app.  I've created the pose I want, but can't figure out how to save the pose and then export it as an .fbx file. Maybe one of you would have some clues, as I can't find anything out from DAZ.  I exported the DAZ as .fbx into SolidWorks, where, interestingly, it opened as a Power Surface, a very powerful app I have for SW.  I did this as my direct .fbx import into KeyShot gave a lot of zigzag surfaces, but the SW conversion smoothed everything out.

KeyShot 5 Pro.  The new SolidWorks plug-in 3.0 is flawless now!  Lit entirely with IES lamps, two spots behind the portal, and a soft-box overhead for fill.  HDR set at zero.  Backplate is a label on a vertical plane so I could easily move it around for position and size, a really helpful trick for many rigs!  Rear wall flat black, and the floor and stairs are heavily frosted red glass on the visual surfaces, backed with chrome on the non-visual surfaces.  This is also a neat trick for many ground planes, and you can change the color to suit.

Bill G

Despot

Hello Bill,

What you are trying to do is easily done, simply add your character, in my case, the Victoria preset figure. Pose the figure manually or apply a preset pose and then simply do a File >> Export >> and save as an .OBJ.

In the export options though, make sure you have 'Write Normals' flagged.

That's it really, the exported geometry should reflect the pose you chose - then just import into KS ensuring you have 'Import Normals' flagged

Cheers

J

edwardo

All i would add to MM comment is that you can import the obj into something like maya, modo or even zbrush and sub-divide it if you need to. However I have only ever noticed tessellation from daz models when zoomed right into the eyes / ears / fingernails etc. And the new genesis 2 figure has 4x the polycount of the old one, so if your using that i doubt you need to subdivide the model in a third party app at all.

Good luck with whatever your endeavours are - cancer is a horrible thing that has taken my dad and my oldest childhood friend.

Remember folks... eat your broccoli !!!

Speedster

Thanks, guys, for the guidance.  Actually, it was not a tessellation issue with the DAZ model, but just something weird about the surfaces- cleaned up fine in SolidWorks. I'm anxious now to play with exporting poses now that I have a handle on it.

Here's step two of the image...

Bill G