Mac Pro 2x2.26 GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon - about 73fps

Started by sdesaulles, September 23, 2010, 04:39:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdesaulles

12Gb ram - what the instructions should also make crystal clear is that if you move the model, it changes the frame rate - try moving it away or turning so you just see the side and suddenly I'm hitting 700 plus fps!

guest84672

Did the instruction say anything about moving the camera? ;-)

I updated the instructions - hope it is "crystal clear" now.

sdesaulles

Hi Thomas, true, it didn't mention a move.

Perhaps users could ighlight elements that assist or hinder rendering performance - on OSX & windows. 

I thought having multiple apps open / working might make a significant drop.  Strangely opening Photoshop, Illustrator, Soundbooth, Indesign CS5 and a few other CS apps actually seemed to relate to a rise in frame rate from about 73 to about 76. Not what I expected at all.

Also interesting for Mac users perhaps who also run Windows 7 is that OSX seems to be significantly quicker than W7 - nothing else running beyond system stuff, and while OSX gives about 73fps, the W7 64 bit side gives only around 53fps - so about 30% quicker on the OSX side.

Don't know if that is the W7 'bloat' factor or something else - would be interesting to hear from anyone running XP on bootcamp to see which is the most efficient platform.

Stephen.

guest84672

This is strange. There shouldn't be that much of a difference in performance. Now that being said, what version of W7 are you using? Ultimate?

sdesaulles

Hi Thomas, yes 'Ultimate' is what I have on both MacBook Pro and MacPro, haven't tested the laptop on the W7 side, but will do out of interest.

I have read accounts where the graphics card drivers on high end cards make a huge difference - generally they are better written for Windows though. For example the Nvidia Quadro FX 4800 Mac Edition, which is apparently let down badly on the mac side and is beaten by much cheaper cards on the OSX side

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2009/12/a-second-look-at-the-nvidia-quadro-fx-4800-mac-edition.ars/3

But as I understand it Keyshot is all CPU based and so this makes zip difference presumably.

Curious as you say.  But with big models, it would seem it would be well worth rebooting on the Mac side for the rendering - for W7 at any rate.

Cheers

Stephen.