Main Menu

Shag carpet

Started by Pepster3D, September 28, 2013, 11:27:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pepster3D

Hi,
Is it possible to make some kind of shag carpet in Keyshot?  Right now I am using 3DS Max and the hair/fur plugin.  Would have loved to do this project in Keyshot instead though.

Despot

Hello Pepster

KeyShot is a renderer only, so it cannot create hair or fur. I'm sure of that

The way I got around this a while back was to create the hair/fur in another package (for me it was Cinema 4D) then generate geometry from it and export it as an .OBJ.

This works fine, but depending on how many hairs you generate initially, the file size of any export can be huge.

When I was messing around months ago I did a 'rug'... I didn't spend much time on it at all, so it doesn't look fantastic admittedly, but with some tweaking I think it shows promise. Here's a screenshot of how it looks when imported in KS and I've also uploaded the .OBJ to MediaFire.

http://www.mediafire.com/?m0yatffi787v20s

But be warned it's 450MB unpacked...  I still have the original C4D scene file and I'm going to play around a little to see what I can get.

Let me know if this is the kind of thing you're after

J

thomasteger

This looks absolutely awesome!

Chad Holton

Pepster3D

Hey that looks cool!  Yeah, I was going for something like that indeed.  I didn't think of exporting as geometry from another program-dur. 
I had a huge carpet so it had like 200,000 hairs in it.  Quite a beast.  I will try to see if I can export it out of Max, and into Keyshot.

Thanks!!!

Despot

Thanks guys... here's a couple more

thomasteger

Super. This looks really great!

edwardo

That's amazing. I've tried exporting fibremesh from zbrush, but got nothing like that quality.

The metal master is dead.... Long live the Carpet Master! Actually, that's a bad name, sounds like a discount carpet salesman....... Long live the Rug Muncher!!

Pepster3D

I love the last one.  :-)
What kind of material are you using on it? I managed to get my carpet into Keyshot but my color map wasn't look quite like that.  Yours is very robust.

sanjay tuli

I have rental property and need to replace the  Carpet I'm unsure what type of carpet to have put in, but know I want something durable and stain resistance. I need something that is going to last but not too expensive. Do you have any recommendations?

(edit: removed link to lessen spam effect, kept message keep conversation intact)

Despot

I'm sorry, I have to say this, you are either brainless or this is your idea of a sidesplitting joke... it does not take a rocket scientist to work out that this site and thread has absolutely nothing to do with real world carpets in real world houses  >:(

PhilippeV8

it's spam, MM ... relax  ;)

Despot

Quote from: PhilippeV8 on August 21, 2015, 01:39:14 AM
it's spam, MM ... relax  ;)

Sorry Philippe... too much raw meat for breakfast I think  :-[