Less materials in Keyshot 5?

Started by JameyW, August 25, 2014, 05:49:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JameyW

Hi,

I'm fairly new in using keyshot, I was using the demo version of keyshot 4 before moving on to keyshot 5 and I noticed that there are less materials in 5. I used mold tech a lot in 4 and I noticed there are significantly less mold tech materials in 5,  don't know if that's the case with other default materials, if so I don't really want to switch to 5...

Anyone else noticed that?

Thanks

TpwUK

Fewer materials are installed directly, but there are more materials and environments etc through the KS_Cloud where you can download just the ones you need or want for specific jobs

Martin

jhiker

If you still have KS4 installed I think you can probably copy the materials/textures/environments/backgrounds folders to a convenient location and point KS5 to those 'shared' folders in the 'edit/preferences/folders' setup screen.
I too found it surprising that KS5 came with relatively few materials, but I think the 'cloud' is great for sharing stuff.

HaroldL

I too noticed that KS4 has/had more materials than KS5. I asked support if I could use theKS4 materials in KS6 and was told that I could, that they should work. However, when I copy them, via Windows Explorer, into the KS5 folders and use them in KS5 I get an error message that pops up (image attached). I saved the message to a text file that, when opened in Notepad, is empty except for the header line:
QuoteKeyShot 5.0.99 Log File - Thu Aug 28 23:18:56 2014 OS: Windows 8 64 bit
==================================================
The icons also show up different than in KS4 probably because of a different material ball used in KS5.

Also, if you look in the Axalta folder in KS4 the subfolder is Hot Hues. But in KS5 Axalta is empty and Hot Hues is located in the Gem Stones folder. ??? ??? Is this the new file structure for KS5 or is it an installation error?

H