[FIXED] Small parts not visible after rendering [FIXED]

Started by Sjors, August 26, 2014, 01:41:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sjors

Hello,

I i'm rendering a closet and on the sides of the closet there are pin-holes. These are there to adjust planks within the closet. All the parts  of the planks have a realistic wooden texture. So do the pin-holes.

Now here is the problem.
These pin-holes are visible when I'm in the 'workplace' and adjusting the scenes. But when I start rendering. All pin-holes become less to not visible.

Any help? What should I adjust to make them more visible

Sjors

Here are some screenshots I made so you can see what i mean. Watch the small dots on the vertical planks.

The 1st picture has been rendered. This is the most visible I can get the holes

The 2nd picture is a live screenshot I took.

edwardo

Try putting your shadow quality slider to 5 or so. That usually helps small details come through. Also, you can try rendering out at a much higher resolution (then reducing back down in PS if necessary)

Actually I can see the 'pin-holes' in your render, but they look kind of small. Im assuming your  board material is 18mm or 21mm, which makes your holes look only a few mm in diameter. I think these holes should be a minimum of about 6mm to have a sufficiently strong 'pin'?

Also, i think a lot of CG artist will quite often 'exaggerate' little details like this for the purposes of renderings.

hope this helps
Ed

Speedster

I agree with Edwardo.

My bookcase "Euro-Pin" holes are 6 mm.  This would help, unless your specs are for a smaller pin.  But the best choice is to do the holes in a darker brown, without grain.  And of course better HDR shadows would help a lot.  Try the great "Studio Simple Automotive" HDR on the cloud, and then tweak it to suit.  The shadow detail is superb.

But the main thing when dealing with small features on a large model is to render at least twice the intended size, then re-size in post.  Especially with round holes, as it also reduces tessellation.

Sometimes you just have to cheat!

Bill G

Sjors

Problem fixed! My boss wanted to have a low resolution because a higher resolution would take to long... however not being able to see the pin-holes changed his mind

Thanks for the help guys!