changing light colour in animation????

Started by emcglade, September 18, 2014, 05:28:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

emcglade

Hi,

I'am wondering on the new Keyshot 5 software if it is possible to change a light colour in an animation. For example,

I have a product that has an L.E.D that changes colour depending on what voltage is running through it. Would it be possible to orbit around the product and have the light change colour as it's orbiting?

MisterNeil

Hi,

I did some testing with changing lights in KeyShot 5. As far as I can see, this feature is not built into KeyShot 5. However, you might want to try the following idea.

Select your LED and duplicate it. The new LED will now be covering the first one. Select the 2nd LED, change it's color, then add a fade to it. The fade will be added and appear in the animation timeline. Preview the animation and you will see the 2nd LED will fade and the first one will appear. Control the length of time for the fade in the animation timeline. Speeding up or decreasing the time will control how the LED blinks.

Hope this tip helps a little with your project.

Neil

andy.engelkemier

If you can use AfterEffects then try this out:

Render your animation entirely without the LED adding light at all. Just turn it off.
Then render again but turn your environment to zero (or really close to zero if keyshot doesn't allow it), and have the only light be your LED.

Stack that animation on top of the other one in aftereffects and change the layer mode to "add."
Now you can add color adjustments like hue/saturation to that layer and animate it there. You will only be changing the light color of the LED contribution, so it's fairly accurate, but you can make changes on the fly if you don't like something. That Definitely beats re-rendering an animation.