Trouble with KS plugin since update to Creo 3.0

Started by EngOS, September 15, 2014, 11:33:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EngOS

Hi,

I've just installed the new Creo 3.0 (F000) version to test it but I have now an error message at the start:

When I look at the trail file here's what it says:
Quote!%CIWelcome to PTC Creo Parametric 3.0.
! Message Dialog: Warning
!               : Creo Toolkit registry file C:\Program Files\KeyShot4\Plugins\Creo 64bit\protk.dat:
!               :  application 'KeyShot4' failed to start; see trailfile for details.
< 0 1.123556 1579 0 0 948 1920 0 0 1200 13
~ Activate `UI Message Dialog` `ok`
! Message Dialog: Warning
!               : Startup of application "KeyShot4" failed.
~ Activate `UI Message Dialog` `ok`
< 0 1.095111 1579 0 0 924 1920 0 0 1200 13

The plugin still works on Creo 2.0 and I use the same config file.

Thanks for your help.  :D

Chad Holton

Hello,

We only have the Creo 3 plugin available for KeyShot 5 at the moment.

Chad

EngOS

Ok thanks. So does it mean the plugin for KS 4 will be available soon or not ?
I can't really afford to upgrade to KS 5 for now but I'm pretty happy with Creo 3.0 so far so will likely continue to use it.

If the plugin isn't available what would you suggest is the best format to export from Creo to KS to keep as much as possible the colors etc... ?

Thanks

EngOS

PS. I know I can in theory directly import Creo files in KS but very offten I got this:

KeyShot

EngOS

Not yet and I'd love to. But I only have the KS4 license yet. And as mentionned above I can't really afford to upgrade now.

Chad Holton

KeyShot 4 will not import Creo 3 (not sure if it ever will). This is probably the reason for the message you are receiving "does not contain 3D geometry". I will have to ask the development team if a new plugin is planned for KS4, as I'm not sure. In your case at the moment, when using Creo 3 and KS4, I would try either exporting as STEP or IGES. Keep in mind you can use the "update" feature when importing an updated part/assembly (so you don't have to redo the materials and such).

EngOS

Ok thanks a lot.

Just a note about this:
Quote from: Chad Holton on September 17, 2014, 03:40:43 AMKeyShot 4 will not import Creo 3 (not sure if it ever will). This is probably the reason for the message you are receiving "does not contain 3D geometry"
I also have it sometimes when trying to import Creo 2.0 datas. Specially when it's a big assembly.

Quote from: Chad Holton on September 17, 2014, 03:40:43 AMIn your case at the moment, when using Creo 3 and KS4, I would try either exporting as STEP or IGES. Keep in mind you can use the "update" feature when importing an updated part/assembly (so you don't have to redo the materials and such).
Ok the igs or stp (obj works well too) is what I'm doing now but never looked at the "update" so it might help a lot with the process... ...till I get KS5  ;)

Chad Holton

Quote from: EngOS on September 17, 2014, 05:04:26 AM

Just a note about this:
Quote from: Chad Holton on September 17, 2014, 03:40:43 AMKeyShot 4 will not import Creo 3 (not sure if it ever will). This is probably the reason for the message you are receiving "does not contain 3D geometry"
I also have it sometimes when trying to import Creo 2.0 datas. Specially when it's a big assembly.

It may be where KeyShot isn't able to find all the parts that make up the assembly file. This is where the plugin comes in handy (when compatible  :D ).

EngOS

Quote from: Chad Holton on September 17, 2014, 05:20:09 AMIt may be where KeyShot isn't able to find all the parts that make up the assembly file. This is where the plugin comes in handy (when compatible  :D ).
Yes that's what I thought too but it also happened for single part...

Anyway, I just upgraded to Keyshot 5  8)

EngOS

Quote from: EngOS on September 18, 2014, 11:22:56 AMAnyway, I just upgraded to Keyshot 5...
But saddly enough it doesn't solve the issue...  :(

I have Creo 3.0 F000 installed.
Keyshot 5.0 installed and able to start normally
keyshot5_creo64_plugin_3.0 installed
Config file in Creo updated to point to the right protk.dat file in the new KS folder

But still at the Creo boot I have the same message than above (except it now says Keyshot5)

And then followed by another error message window saying: "Startup of application Keyshot5 failed"

Chad Holton

Chad Holton

I was hoping you weren't going to say that... I've ran into a couple of other users with the same problem with the plugin and Win 8. The development team is looking into it. To top it off, you won't be able to import Creo 3 just yet either. The importers come from a third party and won't be ready until next month.  :-\

EngOS

Ok thanks.

That's too bad. Especially I just uninstall KS4 and the plugin for Creo 2... and just got a request for a rendering for wednesday...  ::)
My bad. I guess I was too excited to got a new software to play with haha...

Quote from: Chad Holton on September 22, 2014, 06:00:47 AMTo top it off, you won't be able to import Creo 3 just yet either. The importers come from a third party and won't be ready until next month.  :-\
Ok. So will at least KS 5.0 import Creo 2.0 geometry then ?